Thursday, December 24, 2009

Merry Christmas



Merry Christmas to you all from New Zealand and Australia - where I am staying at the moment with my son and his family, and where it is bakingly hot. But we still cooked a roast dinner! We unwrapped our presents this morning and then ate chocolates. (That's compulsory isn't it?)

The photos are from a common site on the internet, by the way. And are of New Zealand, rather than Australia. (Oooh, why has that underlined itself?)



And so to answer your question Flartopia, yes, our Christmas traditions are pretty much the same as in Britain really. Even to the extent of sometimes sending out Christmas Cards showing red robins in the snow! Crazy really, but it's just stuck from when our forefathers came out to New Zealand about 160 years ago. Australia was settled a bit earlier, but the same thing applies I imagine. Quite often these days people will have a barbeque or similar for Christmas Dinner, but I think that the majority of people still do the whole roast meal thing - turkey/chicken/ham/pork/lamb/whatever, and all the trimmings. Then we are exhausted because it's all just too hot and we've eaten too much and we collapse on the sofa for an afternoon sleep!
Joyeux Noel.

6 comments:

Alison said...

LOL, your Christmas sounds a lot like our Thanksgiving! And I was going to say our Christmas doesn't involving surfing Santas, but I'll bet it does in California.

Happy napping!

Joanna Jenkins said...

Even with the heat, it sounds like a perfect Christmas!

Relax, enjoy and stay cool.

xo

Fragrant Liar said...

Flartus beat me to it. Your Christmas sounds like Thanksgiving around here. Except for the surfing Santas, that is.

mariebop said...

Your pics make me feel a bit homesick.....I guess that beach/barbecue/sunny days/ etc is etched into us, never to be deleted! In the UK there are snow piles everywhere and more snow forecast for New Year! :)

mariebop said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!! MAY 2010 BRING HEALTH AND HAPPINESS! OH AND WEALTH!

sanjeet said...

its great post
post free classified ads