An unbelieveable tragedy in Christchurch today. I have friends and family there and only hope that they are OK.
This from stuff.co.nz:
An earthquake in Christchurch has claimed at least 65 lives and scores more are injured in what Prime Minister John Key says "may well be New Zealand's darkest day".
Key tonight confirmed that at least 65 people were dead after the shallow 6.3 earthquake, which hit 10km southeast of the city just before 1pm. That quake has been followed by constant aftershocks, some as powerful as magnitude 5.
Christchurch Mayor Bob Parker told TVNZ that figure could double.
Buildings have been destroyed, with an unknown number of people trapped inside, with rescuers saying some people would remain trapped overnight.
Parker said up to 25 buildings of significant size in the city were probably damaged beyond repair.
Civil Defence director John Hamilton said the death toll was expected to climb.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I hope your loved ones are okay. I've been following this on the news. It's heartbreaking.
xo jj
Yes, my loved ones are fine. Physically at least. The devastation is unbelievable, and the death toll is climbing. Yhanks Joanna.
I mean Thanks!
Post a Comment