Monday, August 13, 2012

France again! The start.

This morning I was tossing up between going for a walk - rain is threatening - and going for a swim - I don't really want to. Hmmm.... Then I thought I might write in my blog! I know that my Facebook friends have seen a fair few photos of my trip to France, but a few people - OK, two - asked if I would blog about it. So I will. :-)I've been back for two weeks now, and to be honest I have struggled. Not only did I come back with an ear infection, but I was also suffering from the apres-vacances blues. Natural enough! But I'm fine. So. I flew out of Auckland on June 30th on Air New Zealand.(Who aren't giving me frequent flyer points but that's another story!)I despaired somewhat at the boarding area as it was a bit of a bunfight with several highly excited school teams. They were very noisy at first, but they did settle down. And miracle of miracles - for the first time ever I slept for five hours! I took a pill, and as it was after midnight it all just fell into place. Thus, a relatively short trip to Hong Kong. And here is a picture taken from a window there. Exciting, eh?
I hadn't been to this airport before and so I wandered around for a bit. I had a fairly painful foot massage, then a coffee and a stale doughnut. Boarding for the next flight on Air France was delayed, and when we did get on the plane we waited, and waited.... and waited. There were a couple of vague announcements but no attention from staff. All up, we were 2 1/4 hours late in departing. "Boarding problems" was the issue, whatever that means. It was a VERY long flight. I just couldn't get comfortable. Meals were average. However, I have to say that every single one of the cabin crew - male - were totally gorgeous in a very French way. And they spoke to me in French without changing to Engligh when they heard me speak. So that was nice! Fast processing on landing in Paris. No-one has ever checked my luggage there!And of course I was actually very pleased to indeed see my luggage - it's always a worry! I trotted along and there was my bed for the night! I had booked into the Sheraton as my arrival time was too late to connect with a train to Poitiers. And I'm glad I did. Even if there had been a train connection I would have missed it due to our plane being late. And also, I was able to have a really good sleep and feel pretty normal by the time I did go to Poiters the next day. It was wonderful to see Marie-Helene, Christian and Bernard at the station, and we went back home to have a lovely lunch - as always - and do a bit of holiday planning. Nice to be back in my French 'home'. On Tuesday Mare-Helene and Christian both had meetings, and I went on an outing with their (and my) friend Liliane. We went to a little town/village called St Gelais, mainly to see and art exhibition. But it worth going there anyway. Lovely buildings, and a great local restaurant where we had lunch.
We also visited the city of Niort on the way home. It's not all that far from Poitiers but I hadn't been there before. So that was lovely!
So here endeth Holiday Posting #1!

2 comments:

mariebop said...

I think it's great to share your experiences via a blog .. Great start! Hope you're feeling much better now. Xx

Joanna Jenkins said...

Hi Alison,
Good to see you blogging and to hear about your travels. Sorry about all the delays. That's the worst part of traveling in my book-- That and actually getting enough sleep!
Hope you're having a grand time and enjoying yourself.
xo jj