I videoed the twinkling lights on the Eiffel Tower - just a little clip, and I was so pleased with it. Then I found out that because I had turned the camera longways, the video would be on its side as it can't be rotated. I am deeply disappointed as I thought I had a bit of a masterpiece there. So anyway, please lie sideways whilst viewing! Merci beaucoup!
So back a bit. Last Friday night I went out for a meal with the English teachers from the Lycee. It was for the two young English assistants from the UK, Sarah and Thomas, and me. And a very nice meal it was too. I had thought that there was going to be an Irish band playing at the restaurant but as often happens over here, I misunderstood, and in fact they were playing somewhere else afterwards. As I had expressed an interest, and as I really do like Irish music I agreed to walk there with a handful of others. Well, we walked a long way, almost all of it downhill. And it did occur to me that the return journey was going to be uphill. Hmmm... And where was the cafe this far out of the city centre? Well, it wasn't a cafe. It was in fact a kind of community centre, and some friends of Rose's were playing in a concert! We arrived at halftime, and as it was 10 past 10, and I had a very early start the following morning I said that I would head back up the hill and get the bus home. However, Rose offered to drive me home and said we would stay for about an hour. OK then. Half time continued. And continued.... until 11.00pm! I was getting a bit twitchy by then! Anyway, two guys started the second half, one playing the violin and the other the flute and occasionally a tin whistle. They were ok but it all started to sound the same after a while. And they carried on, and carried on.... I whispered to Sarah, 'What about Rose's friends?" Oh no! We had missed them - they were only on in the first half! Anyway, we finally left just after midnight - the concert was still going - and retraced our steps back up the hill. It had been a lovely night really, but I was somewhat concerned as my alarm was set for 5.30am. I got to bed at 1.15!
However, I was Ok in the morning you will be pleased to know. I got the night bus to the station and off I went to Paris in the TGV. When I arrived at Montparnasse Station I had to get the Line 4 metro to Gare du Nord. Following the directions to get there was no problem, but it was a long walk! I could hardly believe how far away it was. Fortunately there was a travelator for some of the way.
Anyway, I found my way to the hotel we were booked into, to be told that they had overbooked and we had been changed to another hotel down the road. Well, it was a bit like an upgrade to business class really. From a 2 star to a 3 star anyway! And all at the original quoted price. A bit of a win there! Very nice. Louise arrived soon after, and we set off on our day. First stop, Montmartre. All very touristy I know, but I just love it there. I could walk round and round looking at the art over and over again. We went through the cathedral first.

There was actually a service in progress. And Louise had a "Yes, yes I'm on the train" moment. Her phone rang, and she had to say, "Yes, yes I'm in Sacre Coeur Cathedral!" Tres amusant. Then on to hang out with the artists and we both bought a couple of little bits and pieces. And we had lunch right there too. Then off we went to the Pompidou Centre.

I have never been there before, and we had intentions of going inside. However, people seemed to have tickets for some sort of event and we couldn't find the entry for just looking through the building, so in the end we gave it a miss. We continued on our merry way, and decided to go on a Seine River cruise - another first for me, and something I have wanted to do. It was lovely. It's always good with a commentary too, as you pick up quite a bit of information.

Then we headed off to the Eiffel Tower. Louise assured me it wouldn't take too long - 20 minutes was definitely mentioned!!

About 2 hours later.... truly!....we got there. In fact, although I got bit tired with all the walking I actually really enjoyed it. I don't think I would ever get sick of walking round Paris. We had decided that we would grit our teeth and accept the queueing as we had decided to make the Big Ascent! I had been up once before - almost 12 years ago. Heights do awful things to me, but I wanted to do it again anyway. So we joined a queue and really, it didn't take too long at all. About an hour I think. The top viewing platform was closed, so we went to the level below that. I really enjoyed at and didn't feel queasy at all.

It had been a bit hazy during the day and now it was dusk, so it was hard to see very far afield. Although I think I did catch a glimpse of Hilary at Denise and Crispin's place in the Motueka Valley.
Just as we descended the lights came on, and it's hard to describe how beautiful that big iron thing can be. I just love it!

Then as we were walking back to the Metro Station the twinkling lights came on, which they apparently do on the hour. Well, I just love fairy lights anyway, so I was quite smitten. It was a beautiful sight. Which may be viewed whilst reclining sideways, you may recall!
It was about 9.30 by the time we got back to the hotel, and we decided just to grab some takeaways from the little Scottish restaurant. Well, I think it's the first time I have ever had a stale bun and dead lettuce from McDs. It was shocking. And to add to the fun, just as we got to our hotel room door, the carry bag collapsed and the two drinks of coke crashed on to the floor!! Aaagh! We dabbed with tissues and mopped with towels and gave thanks for brown carpet!
So that was Saturday. A lovely day. To be continued.

3 comments:
Oh, Alison, MY TOWER!!! MA TOUR!!! My experience going up the tower, the first time, was exactly as you described yours -- and I LOVE your video, I don't care if it's on it's side, I pretended I was laying in my hotel room bed and gazing at it out my balcony doors ... I love Montmartre, also, spent an enormous amount of time and sketch paper there! Also went on a night tour which took me there, just me with a GORGEOUS French/Catalonian guide named Jacques ...
And I also didn't mind the Eiffel Tower on its side. Brought back wonderful memories of how inspired with awe I was. Monmartre sounded great. When I went it was hot, hot, hot, I was alone and didn't see any art???? Obviously I need to go again with you as a guide.
Love all the pix as usual. Still looked pretty wintry in the gardens of Versailles. It is also very wintry here - would strongly advise NOT to come home. Too cold - wrong season.
that little video was cool! the kids liked it too. one day maybe we will get there; it sounds like fun.
Post a Comment