Wednesday, August 5, 2009

And so the good-byes begin.....


Ah yes.... Well, in fact I have written about this earlier, when I farewelled my uni friends. In fact I said good-bye to Yun about 3 times in the end, as he kept popping back to Poitiers! Yesterday Guy came and picked me up and we went back to his peaceful place in the country. It was an incredibly lovely day sitting in the sun (and the shade - it was incredibly hot again)and chatting and drinking and eating and singing and swimming.... Guy was heard to mention more then once, "Eez not perfect, but eez not far!" True! Guy and Christiane have been great friends and have made a big difference to my time here. Especially Guy, let's be honest. Just the circumstances of meeting him - in the toilet at uni! - and our meetings to practise conversations, and his love of sport and music, and his sense of humour..... He has been a special friend, but I have always respected his married state I'll have you know!! :-) I gave Christiane a NZ pottery dish with a fern embossed on it, and I gave Guy a bone carving pendant. He was quite moved by that and understood the significance. (That's because I wrote it in the card!) Anyway, later on in the day they took me home and I have to confess that I was a bit of a blubbering wreck. It was terribly sad. I know that good-byes are part of life's journey, or something like that, and I have good things to look forward to when I get home. But let me wallow a bit here please...... :-) And in fact I was just about to wallow in self-pity when, just as Guy and Christiane drove off, Marie-Helene and Lucie turned up. "Come with us to the Harry Potter movie," they said. So it had to be better than feeling sorry for myself. Well.... I don't know! Interesting - two and a half hours of Harry Potter in French. I liked the actors but in fact I didn't like the film at all. (Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince). In fact I would go so far as to say that I hated it. It's certainly not for kids - it's nothing to do with magic. It's just full of nastiness and violence and I think that little kids would be terrified. But hey, an interesting experience. The video features all three of us. You know, every time I see myself on film or video or whatever, I get a terrible shock to discover that I am not in fact tall and slim with a swan-like neck and long slender fingers. It is distressing to see this little Apple Woman with little stubby fingers. Can that really be me? Hahaha! Oh well, I thought you might like to hear this song anyway. It's about a summer romance, and the girl is going back to England, and it's time for good-byes... quite poignant.

4 comments:

Holly said...

I understand this post of yours so very well...and I've been a bit envious of you as I've read your blog and thought of spending time in a different world that I'd come to love...but then to have the price of the goodbyes at the end?

Well, I'll send you hugs while you do that hard part...because I understand it is hard. Very. But, oh so worth it, no?

Toni said...

I LOVE THE SONG! THE VOICES TOGETHER! YOUR APPLE SELF!!! blubbering is good honest emotion, Alison ... when you care about people then blubbering is the order of the day of goodbyes! Blubber loud! blubber long! feel the love! and it's always going to be yours, that's the cool part! if you wanna go for a long walk by a river, under a canopy of trees, and hold my arm and blubber some more, let's go, I'm ready!

Hilary said...

Yeah. Bitter sweet. And you may go back some time, lots more times in fact. Sniff, sniff.

Alison said...

Thank you girls. :-)