Sunday, August 2, 2009

UK #4

What do you think of my fancy background? I will no doubt get quite carried away and change it regularly. Thanks Holly for your help. :-)
Yesterday I met Ruth's daughter Jennifer and her family (who live in Grenoble) in Centre Ville for a coffee and an icecream. (A little while ago Yun and I discovered a cafe that has Creme Brulee icecream! I tell you....!) The photo is of me and Jennifer. She and I discussed how her mother had come to Taranaki to have a holiday with me, where she met Murray. Before she knew it she was a farmer's wife! I said that I couldn't have ever been a farmer's wife because I'm no good at scones. Jennifer felt that she could possibly pass muster as long as she had a ready mix packet where you only add water. Or is it milk? But I do believe that the secret is the lightness of touch. Hahaha!
So anyway, that was really lovely. They had been camping south of Bordeaux - possibly somewhere near Guy's naturist camp, but they didn't see him :-) - and were on their way to Tours where Andrew's brother lives.
And now a few last bits about England, and Brentwood in Essex in particular. I'm just glad I'm not going back to the dentist there as I don't think I could cope after two back to back losses to the Boks.
One night I walked with Kevin round to his allotment. I was really keen to see it. I'm sure you all know what an allotment is. Certainly the ones Louise and I saw from the train windows in Europe looked like small towns, with garden sheds that could have housed small families. I suspect that the sheds are a bit like Boys' Clubs at times. But Kevin doesn't have a shed!
He just loves his garden and devotes a lot of time to it. Which of course you need to. We ate beautful fresh vegetables and fruit from the allotment all the time and believe me, you can taste a difference. It's just such a healthy thing to do on so many levels. And Kevin was saying that whilst it's mainly the perserve of 'older' people, more and more young ones are getting interested, which of course is just great. The photos show a range of things as you can see.

"Well, oi think the answer loies in the soil!" (To be said with a broad Somerset accent, preferably.)


I still have some courgettes and beans which I brought back with me, and they are quite fresh. So you really have to wonder the age of the limp specimens which are offered at Foodtown Hunter's Plaza! I now have a wee vege garden at my house in Papatoetoe and I will amaze myself I'm sure at the delights it will produce. Some fancy lettuces and silver beet at least!

1 comment:

mariebop said...

Love the background and I need a Holly!! (Or maybe you can show/tell me!!??) And the side bits too. Also, what is the name of that book you said one should read before living in France??