Thursday, September 4, 2008

Some photos at last!












Well, I have downloaded my photos on to the family's computer. It was a bit of a mission but they didn't seem to mind. In no particular order, as they change when published: a view of Poitiers; my lovely hosts, Jean et Thérèse Ragonneau; the view from my bedroom window and moi outside a church in Poitiers. The old parts of Poitiers are lovely, but it isn't really a picture postcard city as I think I've said. Zillions of apartments in 60s high rise blocks. In the town centre there are lots of very narrow streets where cars and buses hurtle up and down in both directions! One thing I have noticed is that just about everyone drives small cars. Better for the environment I guess, better for the narrow streets and certainly better for getting a park.

I haven't been to school yet, as le directeur is very busy with La Rentrée, the big start of the new school year. But I seem to have been very busy too. I suspect that AFS has said to the host families to drop us into it, as it were, as Thérèse is very keen for me to do things on my own, and go to places then walk home. I am more then happy to walk, but knowing where to walk to would be helpful! It really is quite scary being here and on the fringe of what's going on. Today we went to the university to enquire about language courses, and Thérèse was all for me coming next time in the bus on my own. However, we are going to have a wee practice together tomorrow before I do go on my own on Monday for the placement test. Hopefully then I will know where to get off! Help! She also chats to me all the time in French, which is lovely, but the reality is that I don't understand most of it. Which tends to mak my brain very very full and it's tiring!

But I'm not complaining. It's all about learning. I'm just not sure why I thought that I needed to keep learning at my age. :-)

You will be pleased to know, I'm sure, that today I made my first clothes purchase. I bought a top at a market. (There are markets everywhere, mainly fresh foodstuffs.) The guy selling the clothes spoke some English, which I have to say is rare in this fairly un-touristy town. I told him where I was from and he said, "Oh, Les Springboks." After I nearly had a nervous breakdown and we sorted it all out, Les All Blacks of course, he looked at me and said "Jonah Lomu." So perhqps he was just having me on in the first place. But isn't it interesting - I don't think we really appreciated in New Zealand just how world famous Jonah was. Well, I didn't.

Oh, the food. Not only have I been quaffing red wine and even drinking coffee, neither of which I do chez moi, I have been eating my evening meal at 8.00pm at night! And this is someone who is usually ready for tea at 5:00pm! It could have something to do with the fact that I have about 6 courses at lunchtime. (I could have put another exclamation mark there but I thought I might be overdoing it.) It's the bread that will be my downfall in the end I suspect. I will need to show restraint of a kind not shown before! Mind you, I tend to tuck in when something is produced at the table, not realising that there is more, and indeed even more, to come. When I get the hang of small portions..... Hmmm.....

The food is simple as a rule, but pretty fresh. No limp exhibits from Foodtown Hunters' Plaza!

I'm also trying to plan a trip to see my friend Shirley who is in Cluny on an AFS award for a month. I have been invited down for the weekend after next, but getting there is proving very tricky. It will involve going on the TGV via Paris, something I find quite scary, because it means changing stations amongst other things. Well, no other things really, but that is enough! Oh no, I think I have to change to a bus before I get to Cluny. Anyway, we will see. Hopefully it will work out.

Well, that's enough for now. Apart from the weather. It's quite cold really for the time of year. If there's something you want me to write about, let me know.

Lots of love,

Alison.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ally
I have finally got back to your blog site and have enjoyed catching up on your experiences in France. We found the language thing very tiring too and craved for just someone to speak Kiwi. Sounds like your hosts are nice people and Im sure you will master the bus/train service after a couple of goes. Its trying to be spring in Nelson but unfortunately more snow overnight. Take care. Love Stu & Carolyn XX

Hilary said...

Dites-nous tout ! N'importe pas ce qui, tous les extraits écrits dans votre modèle habituel sera très intéressant.
Just back from another CHCH singing weekend and it's spring here - suddenly and miraculously. There are lambs in the next door paddock and the grass is so green. Still jolly cold though.
Your transport travails have the sound of a potential book about them. So long as you've got your phrase book and master card at hand you'll survive. Might cost you a bit but you never know, you might find some more clothes to buy - wouldn't that be a surprise?
Does everyone reading your blog realise you can click on the photos and they blow up really big. Fancy having pate, artichokes, blue cheese and baguettes for lunch! You must really be in France.
xxx