Sunday, December 7, 2008

Volleyball


Last night I went to the Volleyball with Xavier, M-H and C's son. Who himself is revovering from a badly broken elbow - a volleyball injury. My viewing experience of volleyball has been limited to watching it at the Olympics. Whenever I turned on the TV it seemed to be women's volleyball, which consisted of one, or if we were very lucky 2 pieces of play, then a point would be scored, then they would hug for 5 minutes. A little bit tedious. However, I am pleased to report that Stade Poitevin v Beauvais was very exciting indeed! Volleyball is pretty big in France, and these players are all professionals. Poitiers (Stade Poitevin) were lying third on the table before last night. The stadium itself wasn't huge, but full, and boy, what a racket! It reminded me of the days when my kids used to go to the Trafalgar Centre to watch the Nelson basketball team. Lots of crowd involvement! Drums, hooters, sirens, chants, an MC egging people on.... it was very festive! I learned when to stand up - when Poiters were sitting on set point - when to respond to the MC, how to clap.... Lots of fun. The game was good to watch although neither team played well consistently. But I was impressed their athleticism and some of the plays were quite spectacular. It went to 5 sets and although Poitiers had two match points they eneded up losing. Oh well..... I was going to take my camera but thought that you wouldn't be allowed to have flashes, but in fact people were flashing madly all the time!
Another really good French experience.
The photo was taken from my 'kitchen' window at 9.15 this morning. Frosty and cold, but suns on the weather forecast for this afternoon.

3 comments:

Hilary said...

The roofs are very French-country style you know - almost rustic. Finally found Beltuner on Youtube - recommend anyone reading this goes to check it out - it's music Ali recommended in an earlier blog - I think she saw them. . . somewhere in France.

Also check out James Benjamin Rodgers.com (probably no spaces but google him). A lovely NZ tenor living and performing in New York, the son of John Rodgers - Principal of Marlborough Boys College - talent!

Ali also says to checkout Musical Island Boys on Youtube - all these websites to check if you're into avoiding other stuff that needs doing (like going to work right now).

Alison said...

I just LOVE the Musical Island Boys.

Alison said...

But I don't think I put you on to Beltuner. I know my memory isn't all that great, and I stand to be corrected, but....