Friday, May 29, 2009

Brussels and Luxembourg



Bonjour. I might just have time to do one entry. Then I'm off to school and I'm going to stay with Claudine, one of the teachers, for the weekend. So.... back to last Wednesday. I got the train to Brussels - another one of my First Class trips, but I have yet to see what we get for the privilege! In fact there was a 'perturbation' and the train was one hour late in leaving, and the dining car was closed too. But it was OK. Arrived safely, was met by Louise and we toddled back to her place. The next morning we caught the train to Luxembourg. To me the very name - Luxembourg - conjures up visions of fairy tales and things romantic. I thought it was a little country a bit like Monaco, but in fact it is much bigger than that, and has other towns in it besides Luxembourg City - the biggie. We had a bit of excitement on the train, when the nice young couple sitting opposite us had some sort of drama and were sitting there staring straight ahead with tears in their eyes. We just couldn't work out what was going on at all, and I guess it will forever remain a mystery! The young man was actually wearing a T-shirt with a map of NZ on it, although he hadn't realised he was! (It was very subtle. We do subtle so well in NZ I think!:-)) Anyway, we arrived in Luxembourg and did the usual touristy things. Got a hop on hop off bus, went on le petit train - oh yes indeedy!-
walked round and round, went into an underground warren of passageways,
ate an icecream... It was all good. Luxembourg is apparently quite a wealthy country and I should probably have re-read my info before writing this. But you can look it up! It seemed very green and lush, and being built on a promonitory it had some spectacular views.

Now usually I ramble on at some length, but this is my effort at a shortened version of events. I hope it's acceptable! I will continue when I get home on Sunday.

3 comments:

Hilary said...

A fine entry. I think we (your loyal following of bloggers who can work out how to reply) should compete for the best story of no than 50 words starting with ..."They sat, staring straight ahead, . . . " Intriguing -I''ll give it some thought.

Europe is so green right now. NZ is not, well maybe in the Waikato and on the West Coast, but alas not here in Nelson. Orchard fires mixed with early morning fog, frosts and bare trees. But we can cope. We thrive on adversity even...

Alison said...

Yes, yes, Louise and I would be thrilled to have a flurry of entries for that competition I think! Go for it! :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi there Alison, I have just had a thoroughly good read catching up on your latest news. You are having a fab time. I've just returned from an olive picking week in Canterbury. Fun and beautiful but not nearly as exotic as London and Luxembourg.
Viv