
Drama indeed! As you may recall, les petits trains have featured in previous blog entries. The one in Menton was my first and certainly the best thus far. The one in Monaco was quite good and would have been much better I'm sure, had it not been for the heavy rain, general discomfort and pools of water on the seats wetting one's bottom! The Besancon petit train was, as Tiffany so accurately described it, a rip off. A quick hurtle up the hill to the citadelle where we sat for 15 - 20 minutes. Back down the hill and to a car park where we sat for another 10 - 15 minutes. Then back to base. It was bizarre. Well, just as well we didn't go on it a week later. I was shocked to hear that yesterday it crashed! This off the net - I have deleted the French and just left the translation that was with it.
Besançon: 11 injured in a toy train accident
According to first reports, the train was in a very winding down and was traveling at "excessive speed". The last car would hit a wall.
Eleven people were injured, 6 seriously, Saturday afternoon at the Citadel of Besancon in the crash of a small tourist train on tires whose driver was taken into custody.
The accident occurred at around 14.30 while 43 people were on board, according to firefighters. The train was in a very sinuous descent lined with high stone walls with several hairpin turns, according to police.
According to a police source, citing the testimony of passengers, the train was traveling at an excessive speed. " The last car of the convoy reportedly hit a wall before overturning and then get back on its wheels, according to the same source.
The train conductor was placed in custody to be heard and to make screening of drugs and alcohol, according to a police source. The initial results are negative, it added.
Eleven injured were evacuated to the hospital, according to firefighters. The shocked passengers were gathered in a city hall to be comforted, it added.
According to the Mayor of Besançon, Jean-Louis Fousseret only two people were still hospitalized late in the day, including fractures and hand injuries.
So, all joking aside, that was a terrible thing to happen and I hope that everyone is now OK. Tiffany and I were intrigued however by the mention of 43 people being on board. When we went there were only 4 of us!
So, I still have a few places to visit. Will I ride in any more petit trains? I will let you know.
I was most reluctant to publish this photo of a girl who looks a lot like me but has a much fatter stomach. However, in the interests of current events, here it is. A picture of the Besancon Petit Train. :-)

No comments:
Post a Comment