
Gosh, Menton seems like a long time ago. I kept thinking too, while I was there, that I must take notes in order to write my blog with some degree of accuracy, but of course I didn't, so I quite possibly won't! On Sunday April 19th Christian, Marie-Helene, their granddaughter Chloe (Not Lucie as I had mentioned previously) and I set off, bound for Menton. It was a long trip! Fortunately the Martins' car is really comfortable and the back seats are quite high up, otherwise it could have been quite a terrible trip. As it was, it was interesting I guess.

We stopped a few times, once at a designated off-road stopping place for drivers which was HUGE!! The scenery became more interesting the further south we went, and it was quite amazing to drive past such places as Avignon, Aix en Provence etc. Anyway, we finally got to Menton, after passing through many, many toll booths at great expense, and after almost 12 hours on the road. Phew! We parked the car and walked to the apartment we had rented. It was just amazing - right in the heart of everything. 3 storeys up and on the small side, but full of character, and as I said, about 10 steps and you were on the main walking thoroughfare. Menton is quaint and quite touristy, but with a wonderful ambience and something of an Italian feel to it.

Not surprising really, as it is right on the border with Italy. We did lots of walking round and pottering in the shops and sitting on the beach. (Stony but quite nice.)We did a wee tour in a Petit Train which gave a good overall perspective and also took us to the historic old part of the town up on the hill. We had a look through the Jean Cocteau Museum which left me totally underwhelmed I have to say. Louise stayed on a bit longer in Italy then came on Tuesday night. After we picked her up at the station we went and had a meal that night with Jenny and Laughton Pattrick.

Jenny is this year's Katherine Mansfield fellow, so it was very exciting to visit them. Between them they have also written children's musical productions, including Rats, which I produced at Richmond School in Nelson - it's a great show! Cut Lunch Blues has to rate as one of the best all-time kids' songs!
But I digress! We visited a lovely garden, La Serre de la Madone, which could have done with a good weed, but it was nice all the same, and it was a great day.

And that is where I saw the frogs. Heaps of them croaking away. I haven't seen any frogs for years, so it was very nice to see them, and French Frogs at that. :-) Menton's motto is "Ma ville est un jardin" (My city is a garden) so gardens are a big feature of the area. It's a great climate for gardens. There is a big Lemon Festival each year too.
On Tuesday, M-H, Chloe and Louise went on a tour of some local villages. When we booked there were only 3 places left so we had a draw and I drew the short straw. Never mind. I had a quiet day pottering round, and in the afternoon I sat on the beach and actually did some study for my exams! I also went and had a quick coffee with Jenny at the Katherine Mansfield House - Villa Isola Bella, which was nice.

I walked round the waterfront to get there - it was blissful really. So it was probably a good thing to have a free day. We also all got the train one day and went into Italy to Ventimiglia, to a huge market which could easily take all day to check out. If you felt so inclined. Markets are markets pretty much anywhere! Although I did buy a nice red Italian leather handbag!
Overall, I found Menton to be quite charming. Expensive - Paris prices - and bustling, but nonetheless tranquil and relaxing. A perfect place for a holiday. I recommend it to you!
I have just had a look at the photos, and I think I will have to refrain from putting in photos of moi. Either that or I will have to refrain from eating those you-know-whats!! (Tartelettes au chocolat for those who don't-know-what!!)I also apologise for the grainy quality of the photo of me with Jenny and Laughton. My camera has been a bit temperamental lately. I haven't, I'm sure you'll be pleased to know!

1 comment:
Alison,
On a soggy, wet day here, I am delighted you came for a look-see here. Any friend of Toni's is most certainly a welcome friend here. I hope you'll come again and I'll live through you in France!
Post a Comment