Tuesday, September 2, 2008

And now it's automne!

Bonjour. I can't really download photos while I'm using my host family's computer as I would have to save it on to their desktop, etc. As it is I'm very aware that I'm using the computer quite a bit.
A gloomy day today and bad weather predicted, but the windows and doors are wide open a ce moment and it's quite warm.
Yesterday Thérèse and I got the bus into the centre of Poitiers. There are some truly wonderful old buildings. There are also zillions of uni students around as they have just started back. So people smoking everywhere!!!
We wandered around and checked out what to do to open a bank account and looked in some shops. And witnessed a couple of beggars? tramps? attempting to belt someone up. Pretty scary. I sort of expected people to look different, but they don't. They could be people from anywhere. Apart from the very strong African presence it's as if they could be from NZ. The only tricky bit is that they all speak French!
I am still a bit hopeless at understanding what I hear, but am certainly better in the mornings. My brain turns to fromage in the afternoons. I think it always has! :-)
Thérèse and Jean and their friends seem very involved in socially left wing groups which is very interesting. As I'm sure you can imagine I connect better with the left than the right! (Apart from any right wing friends who may be reading this! :-)) They are really good people.
The homesickness/separation anxiety still gnaws away at me, and I do wonder why at my age I'm still putting myself through stuff like this. I should be a little old retired lady somewhere! But I will be OK. It comes and goes. The computer is a marvellous thing for feeling some sense of connection and immediacy.
Well, I had better leave this for now. I enjoy your comments and/or separate emails.
Amities,
Alison.

1 comment:

Hilary said...

The sun has come out in Nelson, well it would be out if it wasn't behind a hill and Rodney Hyde says that Helen Clarke should remove Winston Peter's (oh no, where does the apostrophe go?) baubles! Love it but nothing of any importance has happened, Poitiers is definitely the place to be a la momente.