Thursday, September 25, 2008

Hmmm.....

Today was not so good. When I went with a group from university to somewhere in Centre Ville to get my carte de sejour, I found I had to have my birth certificate and marriage certificate, along with all the other paperwork I knew about. It will now be a time consuming drama to get them. The young man who was dealing with me, who was very nice I might add, said that it was urgent and could they be faxed straight away! I rang Jane, my sister, on my cell phone to ask her to get them, (and woke her up :-)), and it cost me 50 euros!!!!!! ($100 NZ.) All the money I had put on my phone. It would have been quite straightforward if I had been told I would need them.
Also, while I was waiting politely for my turn to be interviewed for the carte de sejour, I became aware that it was very possible that I was the only representative from a country where people do indeed wait politely in queues! After many 'push-ins' I had to get a bit assertive too. I know it all sounds like nothing much, but there was a lot more to it than that. And it took a long time. Then I couldn't find my way out of the building, and then when I was out, I had trouble getting back to where I wanted to go. Thank goodness for a good sense of direction. Which didn't save us in London, Pat, but it was useful today.

It's the first time I have thought that this is just too hard. I submitted heaps of paperwork for my visa and had no idea there was this carte de sejour thing as well. I am a pretty damned good guesser, but I have my limits. My host "mother" says she will come and visit me in prison. Lol.

Anyway, the roast pork is smelling pretty good so things aren't all bad. And I bought a cool fabric calendar today with all the days of the week, seasons, weather options etc. En français of course! :-)
Even as I type I'm feeling better, but it was a hard day.

5 comments:

MrsS said...

I wonder what french prisons are like? And how the food is?

Anonymous said...

Hi there Ali, I have just caught up on your bog since you have been in France. What a lot you have managed to do in a few short weeks! I'm amazed that you even considered teaching, being a full time university student and all in French. You sound as if you are doing so very well with the inevitable challenges you get unexpectedly. It all loks very beautiful.
Viv

Anonymous said...

Hi Ali,
Sorry you had a bad day, you are a pioneer for us all. Now for the news of the week; I have an interview for the first week back 13-18 octobre for an Immersion Award.Yay! DELF exam in 3 weeks. I feel I know so little. The oral work is so hard to understand, but I persevere. Am watching videos from Alliance and listening to the AI CD in my car. Hope next week is better for you. Think I need to take notes on your experiences.
Love
Noeline

Alison said...

That's fantastic news Noel. I wish you all the best. I just wish you were here with me now - since moving into my studio I am REALLY struggling. It would be so good to have someone to share stuff with. Love to everyone. xxx

Nadean said...

Hi Alison

Just discovered a friend from school has been driving around with your parcel of clothes so I have managed to get them sent off. Look for them in next couple of days. More to come.

Sounds like I need to post you some puzzle books etc. so that you can think about something other than being lonely.

I think you've got to try to remember that you are not on a holiday so that you can't expect every day to be packed with things to entertain you. We all have mundane days when nothing happens. Nothing to do with being in France.

I'm sure that as you become less daunted and more familiar with the country you will begin to feel a lot happier about things.

I seem to remember having a conversation with you about the paper work you had to do when you arrived. I guess you were too worried and otherwise occupied to taqke in what I was saying at the time.Sounds a bit like Communist Russia and Ukraine min the old days.

I guess living so remote from the world we don't realise how much European countries need to try and stop all and sundry from flooding in unchecked.
They are not surrounded by oceans.

Won't be long before you meet Tim and Elizabeth. That will cheer you up. I'm sure that's all you need. To bump in to someone you know.

Lots of love'

Nadean