Well, today has been the hardest so far I guess. The closest I have come to losing the plot really. But back a bit! On Saturday morning Jean drove over to Coussais le Bois where Camella, from Tauranga, is staying for her month. We picked her up and brought her back to Poitiers with us. She was needing a bit of a big town and shopping fix as her village is very little! And it was lovely to see her. She actually used to teach with Rachel and Toby at Avondale College - how about that? So anyway, we did indeed hit the town. We shopped, but also did sightseeing things. We even spent a bit of time trying to find where to buy a French bible and Mass order of service - in French of course. Not something I can say I have ever gone shopping for in any language. :-) The first photo which probably lacks a bit of detail in this size, is of Joan of Arc. (But you can click on it to see it better.) It's one of the beautiful windows in the Notre Dame catherdral of Poitiers. Really lovely. The other photo was taken inside a chocolate shop and in its own way is also very beautiful!
I bought quite a few books to take back to school as resources. I also found a couple of Agatha Christie novels in English which I grabbed. (The other day I even bought a newspaper for British ex-pats! What steps one will go to!) And yes, I bought a cardigan. I knew you were skipping through the rest to find out about clothes. In fact, I'm not too bothered about clothes shopping really. I just need enough to keep warm. It's not that it's hard to shop, but it's hard to do so mqny other things that shopping doesn't seem a high priority. (Stop laughing Jane!)
Anyway, we got the bus bqck home and Camella stayed the night. The next morning Jean took us to Futuroscope. It's a theme park really. But with more of an emphasis on informqtion than rides. Lots of 3D effects in movies and that sort of thing. Check it out on Google. It was interesting and good fun. And a pretty long day.
This morning I went off to university for my first class. I arrived to find that my nqme wasn't on the list. I asked one of the people in chqrge about it and she said that the AFS man here didn't think I should do a full time course as I had a commitment to working at the school too. Which is true, but I was unaware that it was possible to do pqrt time classes. Anyway, the story is rqther long, but I ended up going along to the class that I had been placed in anyway. Level 4. I am no more a level 4 than I am an astronaut! I was completely out of my depth. Unfortunqtely I had done quite well in the written test, but there's a great deal of difference between that and listening, understqnding and speqking. (And typing on a French keyboard.) Yes, I know it takes time, but it's still helpful to understand more than occqsional random words. So I spoke to the person taking it who thought I should leave and talk to the person in chqrge. I went to see her but she wasn't there so I went home. After lunch I went bqck in with Thérèse, my guardian angel, and we tried to sort it out. The problem is, you can do part time, but only at level 4 or higher. And really, I need to be doing level 3 (Or lower!)So I think I am going to do the level 3 course full time and go to school as well. There are school classes till 6;00pm each day. It will be pretty full-on but there doesn't seem to be any way round it.
That all sounded matter-of-fact, but it was in fact very emotionally fraught. I had watery eyes, but didn't cry, so did quite well I thought!
Tomorrow morning I will try again, in the Level 3 class, and I am going to school in the afternoon.
Jean and Thérèse are at a meeting tonight. I was watching the French version of Wheel of Fortune just before, which seemed to have a lot of camera shots of the women's cleavages when they leant over to spin the wheel. And no, I didn't text and enter, as my phone is out of action! I went and got a French sim card on Saturday, and Camella explqined the situqtion to the girl. I then found that it wouldn't work because it's a card just for France! I don't send a lot of texts in France - at this stqge anyway - so I will hqve to get it sorted. In the meqntime, emqil or snail mqil is the only way to mqke contact.
I am also going to have to face the fqct that we are not having an Indian summer here, and stop wearing sandals and summer clothes. It was really chilly today.
Keep in touch.
Alison.

4 comments:
So does that mean you'll be spending horrendously long hours doing school then study, or will you be able to negotiate with your school to do fewer hours? Sounds a bit fraught but you got through it OK so I guess if that's the worst over....
The sun is still out here and I wore half bare legs yesterday so Nelson is forgiven, possibly. Having a later start today but still need to get moving, it's 8.54pm your time Monday night right now where you are so you may be watching NZ's Got Talent and seeing a very short version of Christchurch City Chorus singing their version of Earth Moves (in our lime green cossies). They're through to the next round but there's some awfully cute competition and some fabulous 14 year old voices to compete with - might not last terribly long. Have a pleasant evening.
Long hours. But hopefully I might be able to do part time uni after Christmas and focus more on school.
Ally Im sure you have lots of avid readers out there just not so many prepared to put fingers to keys. We are really enjoying your experiences - can relate to getting drenched in France..Paris in my case and the food (tarts) take me back. Its spring in Nelson now that the rain has at last stopped. Keep up the good work - great blog. Love Stu & Carolyn
Freezing cold her too, Alison, had to go out and buy some shoes today as I was sick of dressing like it was the middle of summer while everyone else looked like they were dressed for the pole (not joking either - wish I was!)
Post a Comment