The dessert at the school cafeteria today was Crème Brulée! I mean, how good is that? (I take after my grandmother whose weekly letters to Mum used to recount the meals she had had during the week. It's a worry!) Anyway! The picture of the people eating lunch is some of the English teachers, and they all agreed to be published on my blog. The picture of a school is, well, my school.
This afternoon Jean decided that it would be a good idea to go to Futuroscope to get the tickets ahead of Camella's and my Sunday visit. (I may not have mentioned it but the trip to see Shirley in Cluny didn't work out. It's just too far away. Camella is doing the one month AFS thing and is in a small village about an hour away from here.) So off Jean and I went and got the tickets. Then the rest of the afternoon was an amazing historical tour. Jean has been incredibly generous with his time. We visited the site of the Battle of Poitiers, which was fought between the Frankish and Islamic armies in 732. It had a really interesting display, and an audio recount of events (in your language of choice) which included sound effects. It was amazing to stand there and look over the landscape and think of those things happening on that very spot so many years ago. I must admit I love European (including British) history. I guess it's a legacy of my education which was really very English, way back then. We then went to Old Poitiers. The photo of a ruin on the blog is the remains of a 10 000 seat theatre, 116 m in diameter. This is on the site of the ancient town of Vetus Pictavus, at the junction of the Clain and Vienne rivers and dates from 1 AD. Amazing. We then stopped and looked at a few chateaux. The one pictured here is in the little village of Dissay. I never get sick of looking at castles.
Jean doesn't speak English, so we have some interesting conversations as you can imqgine. I usually get the gist of what he is saying, though confess I have at times been guilty of nodding wisely and hoping I was doing it in the right place.
Well, until next time - bye for now.

2 comments:
Great pix - thanks. I'm saving them all and will fix up my preferences so they become my screen saving slide show. I'm very envious and spend quite a lot of my time hatching plans that will enable me to live and work in foreign (but not too foreign thank you very much) climes for a year or so. My dreams all involve travelling at least business class and preferably first class so they may not come to fruition very quickly.
The sun is out here. Done the Saturday morning cafe thing, sheets on the line and now I might even venture into the garden for a (very) short period.
Wow! I try to be more regular about checking your blog but there are always 2 more messages. prolific! Anyway it's a great read. Thanks, Les
Post a Comment