

>


C'est moi encore. Yes, I'm afraid it's just me! But, are YOU there?
I am now almost on holiday. We finished university today and I will finish school at lunchtime tomorrow. Then I'm off. Up, up and away. I get the train to Brussels about 4.00 tomorrow and it takes about 4 hours to get there. I am actually travelling first class! I suspect there will be no noticeable difference, but I'll let you know. On Saturday we are going to Ypres for the day. I'm sure you know all about it, but here's a website you can look at if you like. http://www.nzhistory.net.nz/war/passchendaele-the-battle-for-belgium
I'm really looking forward to going there, but suspect it will be quite emotional. Then on Monday, Louise and I fly to Prague. If I think it's cold here, I imagine it will be blood-freezing stuff there. But it will be great! Berlin later in the week, and I'm excited about that too. I wonder if I will see the Kit Kat Club. (From the musical Cabaret. In which as Frau Schneider I sang The Pineapple Song, a musical treat which you may have missed. :-)) Back to Brussels on Saturday and I get the train back here on Sunday morning.
Only one week, but I think we have quite a good programme mapped out! And it will give me a bit of a lift. Mustn't grumble, but it's been a long winter and I am tired. And on Monday night I had one of those evenings that I had only just mentioned in my blog. 8 people at a dinner, and talking to each other. In fact one person did most of the talking and went at it flat out with very few pauses for breath. She also spoke quite quietly. It is EXTRAORDINARILY hard to catch on when you aren't part of what is going on, and it's exhausting straining to understand. When at the end I was asked if I understood I really wanted to yell, "NO!" But I just said no in what I hope was a pleasant voice. When I went to Guy's they spoke slowly, and also engaged me so that I knew what was being discussed. Gosh it makes a difference. There was another drama on Monday night that I won't go into, but suffice to say it hasn't been my best week.
But you get that. Life would not be real if it was always good. (OK Pollyanna, that's enough.)
The photos include 3 taken by a friend at uni when she came in January to pre-enrol. Hence the snow! And I know photographs of corridors are not going to get your heart racing, but I walk down this one every day, and I thought you might just like to see it! The other photo I took last week of our class this year. Well, most of them. They are a bit student-y this semester, and there is quite a bit of absenteeism. But it's most of our group from last year, plus a few newies, and they are a great bunch. Marie, our Prof, is the young looking person wearing grey and white and jeans, behind Wenbo who is squatting down.

5 comments:
Hi Alison, sounds like a holiday is due, the idea of being in a group and all this talk going on round about you makes me feel exhausted thinking about it! Mum says she gets a bit like that when we are all talking at once and she can't pick up any one conversation-we were all here tonight for dinner (ie Cate and jack, Mim and Matthew, sister Jude and partner Tim and us)and we do all tend to go at it flat out, it probably sounds like a foreign language to some!Am sure you will like Berlin, we did a lot.I would love to get to Prague one day.And by the time you get back, spring might be on its way! x
Hi Alison! Going somewhere even colder sounds like a cunning plan - then it will fell great when you get home. We have had a lot of rainy stuff over the last week but we are tring not to grizzle because the lawns and garden were desperate. Have a wonderful time!
dont tell anyone but i liked the photo of the corridor. photos like that add to knowing what its like there even if looks like just another institution.
xxx <-- one from each of us
Hi Alison,
I do enjoy your photos, even the corridor one. Hope you enjoyed Brussels,Berlin and Prague.
I am going to a few French movies at the Film Festival at the Rialto. Couldn't manage without the sous-titres though. Am enjoying Intermediate class even though it is 90% in French and some of it skims over the top of my head.
Noeline, half of my life here seems to happen over my head, so don't worry! You are not alone. :-)
Post a Comment