
....strike three and you're out. (So it was from France that softball/baseball got that idea.) There was another strike today. I arrived at university to find all the doors locked and signs saying that the buildings were "occupied". I went round to the main entrance and there was a medium sized gathering of students inside having a demonstration. Big banners, students with dreadlocks sitting on tables playing guitars, (not a judgemental statement, but fact - for some strange reason the three guys playing the guitars all had dreadlocks), people handing out leaflets.... I didn't know what to do really. They had blocked the way down the corridor I needed to go down. I don't have a problem with them striking as such, but I felt very uncomfortable being in the middle of it. Had I known about it beforehand, I would have stayed away in support. Although left-wing and all as I am, I suspect that the strikes have a somewhat diluted effect when used so regularly. Anyway, it eventually transpired that the head of our FLE department (French Language for Etrangers (foreigners)) had negotiated with the students' union and had an agreement that our classes could continue as we had paid and were not in a position to do catch up classes in June/July, as the other students are apparently. So we were allowed through the blockade. It was very eerie doing our classes in an almost empty university and I didn't really like it. I guess it's just part of the French culture, but I felt like I was put in an untenable position.
Anyway, I hope that M Sarkozy listens to what people want! I believe he is talking about the issues on television tonight, but I don't have a tele. The issues incidentally, as far as education goes, are reforms that people are unhappy with. I googled the question "Why are students on strike?" and it was funny because there were entries for every year. Anyway, I have copied something from November last year.
***Students across France are voting to strike to protect their right to an education and to demand improvements.
In the last two weeks 48 general assemblies have been held in French universities, 33 of which had more than 100 students and 7 more than 500. The main focus of the students' anger is the Pécresse law (on 'autonomy') which is seen as the first step towards privatisation of universities.*
Students also have many other demands mainly relating to increased budgets for universities, more bursaries, more student housing, removal of campus security and amnesties for militants, some of whom are being punished for action during the anti-CPE movement***
I presume it's still the same.
So that was today. A strange day, but interesting. Actually, I would be happy to go out on strike to show my anger at the NZ government abolishing the "healthy food" requirements in school canteens. They obviously live on another planet and haven't seen the awful results of endless very unhealthy eating. I know people will talk about choices, but as Sue Kedgeley said, we don't give students the choice of buying cigarettes at school, and I think we shouldn't give them this choice either. I know the healthy food requirement was really difficult to implement, but the catering people seemed to work very hard to make it possible. And now.... But I digress! :-)
A bientot, tout le monde. xxx

2 comments:
I totally agree Ali, I feel very sad that a government would put scoring cheap political points above our young people's health. Even looking at it from a purely selfish point of view, those young people will be supporting us in our old age, we need them healthy and fit to do the job!
Waitangi Day here today. We're off to the Whakatu Marae to eat a variety of healthy foods in honour of the day.
I will spend Waitangi Day at the Lycee from 8.00am till late afternoon!
Post a Comment