Hmmm... First of all, there is no snow here. I obviously wasn't very clear about that. Yes, it did snow and I loved it. But it only lasted about half an hour. The weather is back to being grey, wet, cold and somewhat miserable! There is a big storm predicted for tonight, so we will see what happens. I would prefer that it didn't happen, thank you all the same.
And so to this morning... Marie-Helene and I caught the Number 8 bus from the St Eloi terminus into Centre Ville. I went to the bank and drew out some money - that wot hadn't already evaporated on its way over here from New Zealand! I needed money because M-H thought I should be ready to pay for the stamps one must buy before one is able to get the C de S. Yes, I am on the homeward stretch! We went into the Prefecture and got our little ticket. Then we went to the cashier and bought 275 euros (is there a euro key on this computer I wonder?) worth of special stamps, which is what the C de S costs. The cashier was a little bit crabby because I didn't put the money in the correct tray which slides back to her side. But she got over it. (And the receipt is made out to SNOOK. That's it. No mention of Widow Kroon, which usually goes with it. Had John been alive I would have been married for 40 years last month! I like the name Snook, but using my maiden name for everything is seriously weird.) Anyway, we then waited for our real turn, which happened after only 5 minutes! We got a very pleasant young woman, but all the same it was marvellous to have M-H there. She first of all asked again for the bank attestation, translated into French, and in euros. "No," Marie-Helene said. "I have spoken to Madame P (the boss!) and she says it is not necessary to be in euros." "Oh," said the Pleasant Young Woman. And she scuttled off to check. Yes, that was fine. "You must have a Social Security number," said the Pleasant Young Woman. "No", replied M-H. "Madame Kroon has New Zealand medical insurance and Madame P says it is not necessary to have Social Security. Madame Kroon is going to get that sorted anyway, and get a number, but all the same it is not necessary for the carte de sejour." "Oh," said the PYW. And she scuttled off to check. Yes, that was fine! I have to add that all this time the Very Unpleasant Woman from the Previous Visit, who happened to be in the next door booth, kept peering round the corner at me!! Then the PYW said, "Is your address still the same?" "Oui," we replied emphatically. We had decided that it was going to be just far too complicated to go through the rigmarole of changing. "Well," said the PYW, "You will soon get a letter from the Town Hall telling you to go and pick up your carte de sejour." What? Just like that? There must be a trick - too simple!! Lol.
Anyway, that was that. M-H and I went round to the Social Security place where the Receptionist told us that she couldn't help us with our enquiries because it was Monday morning. They pretty much don't do Mondays here! (Or lunchtimes, or Wednesday afternoons at the Prefecture, or Sundays..... ) But I digress. So I shouted M-H a coffee, and then I trundled - well, got the bus - back to my pretty boring class at uni. There was no-one around to have lunch with so I ended up eating by myself and then going to the Library and reading for an hour. I found a book (in English)about rhythm and beat in Poetry. It was quite interesting! I love Poetry. Actually, once again there weren't many people at university at all, because The Strike Continues! Until Thursday at least, apparently. I'm not sure if this is happening all over France or just in Poitiers. I assume it's everywhere.
Then after uni I went to the Lycee for my Monday class. As usual I got given a group and told to go and find a room to use. The room I have used before doesn't have a TV and I had a lesson based on a DVD. So we wandered round a bit more. In the end I had to go back and ask Claudine where to go. She directed us quite a long way away. We finally got there and found a TV/DVD player in a big cupboard. My key wouldn't open it. One of the girls went back and got a key from Claudine. I got it all set up, and the DVD player wouldn't work. I was getting pretty tetchy at this point. We moved next door where there was a TV and a DVD player attached to the wall. And yes, it worked. But it had taken from 4.00 till 4.30 to get things sorted. I don't know why, but I get the feeling the the kids are used to things like that. I had my plan and Claudine knew what I was going to be doing - in her situation I would have had the equipment ready. Or am I expecting too much?
Anyway. That was today. Hilary will be a bit disappointed because she thinks my stories might dry up once I get my carte de sejour. But I'm sure there are adventures a-plenty a-comin' up!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Look at moy, look at moy, I've got one word for you - CHICKENS! As in don't count them. Surely the French postal system will get a main part in the Story of the Carte de Sejour? And I reckon right now might be about the time.!
"Cue - postal system. On stage in 5 minutes!"
Lol!
Post a Comment