Monday, March 2, 2009

Prague. (Holiday entry #2!)



This goes in sequence, just in case you missed Ypres. (Entry #1. :-))
So there we were, back in Brussels. On the Sunday morning we just sifted around which was rather pleasant. Nice to have someone to hang out with and talk to. After lunch we walked to the stop and got the bus to Brussels airport, from where we flew to Prague, in the Czech Republic. I noticed two things when we got there. 1. There was snow lying thick and white on the ground. 2. My padlock had been cut off my suitcase and I discovered when I opened it up that my toilet bag and makeup bag had both been opened. Assuming it was the People Who Check Such Things At Airports, it was just as well it wasn't on the return journey, as my talcum powder had spilt everywhere, coating all the contents in white powder.....
Anyway, there I was in Prague for the first time. Indeed, Eastern Europe for the first time. It was a great feeling. So off we went in search of the Czech Inn, (tricky name, eh?), our hostel. Louise had all the directions sorted and I just followed along. We got a bus, then a metro, then walked for about 10 minutes. The hostel was pretty upmarket, and apart from a bit of confusion initially when we didn't exactly get the room we had booked, it was all good. Well, it did say there was a restaurant attached, and indeed they did good breakfasts, but the other snacks came into the Missing in Action category. On the blackboard menu it very clearly stated Goulash, but despite asking for it each night, it was "off". The only thing available was (were?) Nachos. Which sounded good until we discovered it was a packet of nachos from a packet tipped on to a plate and that was it! But hey.... Something to write about! On Monday morning we got Tram #22 and went to Prague Castle and pretty much spent the whole day there. The lunch was appalling and very expensive, but the galleries and wee shops were great. As were the totally stunning views.

It was a cold and drizzly day, so being inside most of the time was good. That night we came across a quiz evening at the hostel just as it was starting, so we sat outside the bar and answered the questions and kept our own score. The winners got 31 and we got 27 with just the two of us so we thought we did quite well. Especially as we answered two questions correctly which required identifying a picture! Which of course we didn't have. It would have been good to have played "officially" but we weren't organised in time, and anyway, this way we avoided the smoke.
And so to Tuesday, which was the highlight really. We got the tram into town and then basically just walked round. It was so picturesque, and to top things off it snowed intermittently, which was incredibly beautiful. (And also friggin' cold!) We walked across the Charles Bridge which was built by Charles IV in consultation with his numerologist.

There were more statues to rub for good luck, although this time it wasn't testicles, as in Milan. :-) We saw the beautiful astronomical clock which is an exquisite piece of art in its own right as well as being a complicated timepiece.
After the clockmaker had finished making it, he was blinded by the king's henchmen so that he couldn't make another one for anyone else! Charming. Ah the joys of living in the olden days.
We then walked round the Jewish quarter and eventually had lunch at Subway. I know that sounds a bit feeble, but Subway is smokefree, and when that's what one is used to.... Prior to finding Subway we had poked our heads into a few cafes and could hardly see through the blue haze. (Oh god, I know I sound a bit boring on this subject, but well, yes, I guess I just am. Apparently smokefree laws are about to be introduced in the Czech Republic, and David at the hostel is a bit concerned that people will ignore them. Mind you, they thought that would happen in France too, but it hasn't. People are obediently smoking outside.)
After a bit more walking we found the Museum of Communism which was really quite interesting. It was sort of run down and tatty looking - which in fact seemed to fit the theme really. There were film clips to see and lots of photos and posters. When you see Prague (and indeed Berlin) with a tres bien ambience and packed with tourists, it's hard to envisage the Eastern European oppressive regimes which existed not so very long ago. And yes, both places were full of tourists despite it being the off season. I hate to imagine what it must be like in the summer. (Well yes, being warmer would be good, but it would be real shoulder to shoulder stuff I imagine.)Prague is full of shops for tourists, and their specialties are garnets and glass stuff. And I was most taken with all the marionettes. I love puppets, but I do have to be a bit sensible about what I buy. Not that I necessarily have a history of being sensible about what I buy! Lol! Anyway, I didn't buy a puppet or garnets, or glass. Just another necklace I spotted! So that was Prague. I really enjoyed my visit there. Two days only, and just a taste of the place of course. The next part of our adventure was coming up, and on Wednesday morning we headed off to the railway station to catch the train to Berlin.
PS I forgot to say - the strike at university continueth!!

No comments: