Well, I have moved into my little studio flat. I did that on Friday night. I knew that it would be hqrd, so I was ready for feeling awful, but that didn't make the feeling awful any easier to handle! It is so small and there is kind of nothing to do. There is no oven, just two hotplates. I have bought an electric jug, but the cord doesn't reach the plug. I have walked, been to the supermarket, read two books..... Basically I am just feeling lonely. I guess it will get better. I have also done quite a bit of study and hopefully I now know a bit more about conjugating verbs. Although sadly things don't stick well in my elderly brain.
This afternoon there was some action however. I went with my landlords to a Catholic "picnic" which in fact was a big lunch. I felt a bit out of place but people were very nice to me. And Albert Tatlock was there! He didn't die in Coronation St at all. (Non-Coro viewers can skip this part.) Truly, he was the spitting imqge, and I really think it was his twin if not the real bloke. (Who would now no doubt be over 100! Lol.) And who would have thought that he was really French? Anyway, there were a couple of nice women there who spoke a little bit of English and made suggestions that we meet, etc. But I don't know my phone number yet, qnd didn't have it on me. Still it may happen. It would be nice to hqve someone to speak English with occqsionally, and in return I could get them to help me with my French.
Anyway, after the lunch and tidying up, Marie-Hélène (studio owner) took me to an art exhibition. We have just got back from it in fact. It was out in the country a bit and the drive was very pleasant. In fact I had got the wrong end of the stick, as I do, and it was in fact an egg exhibition! I don't think I have ever been to an egg exhibition before. Whilst my immediqte reaction was, "Why would people do this?", I realised that we all get our kicks from different things and fair enough. It's not for me to judge. Some of the eggs were extraordinarily intricate and/or artistic, and there were some I really liked a lot. Some were very very awful, but it's the same with all craft exhibitions I guess.
So that's been today. It was a really long morning and I don't like that feeling of filling in time. I think too much about things and have endless conversations going on in my head. I knew it was going to be hqrd on my own. I just don't do on my own very well. That phrase has a very real sense of déja vu to it, so I have obviously written it before. But it's true that I have struggled this weekend and wondered again why I do these things! I have this need to fill my life with 'stuff', being aware that it's so short. Life, not stuff. But I also need to be with people. Adventures are all very well.....
Anyway, university tomorrow. Perhpas the weeks with routines will be just fine. I don't have the internet in my studio and Christian says I won't be able to get it! But we may be able to work something out. Indeed I hope so!! They have kindly let me use their computer, but it's not the same as being able to check in whenever one feels like it.
So that's me. Signing off from Poitiers, France. A lovely sunny day of about 20 degrees.
A bientôt.
Alison.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
You are very brave to go flatting alone you know. I do know about that loneliness you feel and for me it's always worst on the first few days after each change and then I can establish some routines. So here's hoping it's like that for you that your time gets filled to overflowing with things you want to do.
Yeah - I kind of know too. I decided to come home early today after a bumpy flight and a rainy arrival in Nelson - only to get home to a cold, empty house and a feeling of "Well, what now?" Very strange since I spend most of my time yearning for a an empty space in my life. I'll write a list . . . anon
Thank you girls! I'm not actually brave at all, that's the trouble. I would much prefer to have company, but this is just the way it happens. I keep telling myself how much I have previously craved some quiet time without the pressures of school, so I ought to be bleedin' grateful! :-) Actually, I have had a good day today.
good on you mrs k! it sounds like fun too but i also know what you mean. when evie and vinnie go to stay somewhere for one night i somehow manage to get lonely - how ridiculous, and with all the home improvement i could do too...
im glad that you now have a cellphone and i guess ill work out how much the texts cost...sometime.
:)
evie and vinnie say hello alison too
Post a Comment