Friday, February 6, 2009

Bandwagon!

Ok, I'm on a bit of a roll now! Just thinking about the NZ government scrapping the healthy food requirement in school canteens...... Today I ate lunch in the Alienor d'Aquitaine Lycee cafeteria. I had marinated mushrooms, crusty bread, salmon, potatoes in butter and parsley, baby carrots, a green salad with a choice of dressings, rice pudding and an apple. There were other choices. It was great, and inexpensive. A bit of a step up from the bread roll I usually have at home. I actually believe that we should have meals like this in NZ for the students. I know it would be almost impossible to implement, just building the cafeterias being a huge issue to start with, but I seriously believe that it would be a wonderful way of getting some good food into the kids. It wouldn't matter then if they didn't eat much for tea. And because they have eaten well at midday they would function well in the afternoons. In fact I was just thinking about today and the class I have on Friday afternoons. They are mildly disinterested, in a teenagery sort of way (but actually quite nice and we get on well), but on the whole they are NOT totally wiped out with fatigue, and I think it's because they have eaten well beforehand. I just thought of that! The cafeteria at Alienor also does breakfast and an evening meal for those who want those meals. Hmmm.... Food for thought...... We need to realise that the times they are a-changing and we need to respond accordingly. There is an obesity epidemic, and it isn't because kids are eating rice pudding, it's because they don't eat much at all at the right times, and then they pig out on rubbish.
Well, that's got that off my chest. Do you think I should email the Minister of health? :-)

2 comments:

LM said...

Good idea - as long as the food is appetising! I remember that I stopped eating the evening meal at the lycée I taught at in France last century the night that they served up brains & instant mashed potato!!

Alison said...

Lol! Just tell the kids it's.... um, I'm not sure how you could disguise that! Actually, the meals I've had at the cafeterias at the Lycee and at the university have all been really good. Better than the few I have had in restaurants in Centre Ville. (And you must remember that your experience was last century!)