Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Is that a tunnel? Is that a LIGHT??

Salut! Today was my medical day. I had received a letter from the Prefecture telling me of my appointments, which I knew was coming because of Guy's connection with his new best friend at the Prefecture. I had to go for an x-ray this morning - yes, another one but what the heck - and back again for a medical this afternoon. I had to get a different bus from what I am used to, and get off at Parcobus St Gervaise. I almost came to grief before even getting to the bus stop. There had been a frost and then it had rained - or the other way round. Anyway, the footpaths were treacherous! It was really scary tottering and trying not to fall. However, I made it with all limbs inact, and caught the number 4 bus. (Vanessa, I thought of you and your skating abilities. I could have used your talents!) When I got off I plucked up courage and asked a young woman for directions. Just as well. It turned out that she works at the medical centre, but in fact I was only meant to go there this afternoon. The x-ray was at a different place, 10 minutes walk back in the direction from whence I had come. So, thank you Mum for my 'early' genes, because I had been so early I had even caught an earlier bus than intended, and so I had plenty of time. And talking to people isn't always such a bad thing. When I was in London years ago and we went on the Tube, Sophie said, "Right Mum. Listen to me. DO NOT talk to people you don't know. I know what you're like!" Well, I actually didn't feel very confident this morning but it was good that I did ask, because a) she was able to tell me the error of my ways, and b) she was able to show me where to go this afternoon and how to get in. Which involved pushing a very obscure button to open the doors, and going up to the second storey. Needless to say it wasn't well signposted.
So I went and had a chest x-ray. Quick as a flash. The very French name for the place, incidentally, is Centre D'Imagerie Medicale de La Liberation. Cool, n'est ce pas? I went home again, pottered, had an early lunch and headed back to Poitiers le Sud. I was greeted warmly by the young woman who had helped me this morning, so that was a nice introduction. However, when a large group started forming in a room, I started to wonder what was going on and got a bit of a funny feeling. It looked like it was going to be a seminar! Oh no! There were about 20 of us, mainly people from North Africa. Then a woman came in and spoke very quickly in French and introduced some people, one of whom I THINK was the boss of the Prefecture. I wonder of he knows about my horrible lady? Anyway, then another woman spoke at some length and I started to have the early stages of a minor nervous breakdown. How long was this going to take? Not that I was going anywhere, but I couldn't understand most of it, and I didn't need a talk about integration. I have been here 5 months already already! Anyway, we then watched a DVD about living and integrating in France. It was OK. I got the gist of it. Then, phew, that was the talking over. We were told to get a coffee or whatever, and one by one we would be seen by a nurse then a doctor. I only had to wait about 3 minutes, if that. (Well, I was the second person to arrive this arvo. Funny that!) I was seen by an incredibly nice nurse, followed by a lovely doctor. Both women. I was relieved at my weight, and felt that I could probably buy some chocolate afterwards on the strength of that. (And I did.) My blood pressure was a bit up, which it isn't usually, but she took it again a bit later on and it was fine. The x-ray was tres bien - in fact I was a box of fluffies. Apart from the right eye which isn't all that wonderful, but I know that, and have distance glasses! So that was that! All done. I have to drop a letter off at the Prefecture - sigh - and then I believe I just wait for my Carte de Sejour. Goodness me. But I won't count my chickens. Owing to the fact that sometimes they don't all hatch you know! But I am hopeful.
I found a terrible mall across the road, which would make the Stoke Mall look like Sylvia Park. But there was one dress shop. Not that I bought anything. And there was a 99 Centime Shop too! I bought a plastic scraper, a fish slice, an exercise book and a comb. Whoop de doo!
So a pretty good day really.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - you seem to have adventures galore. It must be nice to know that you are medically sound. I always ask as well. I wonder why that embarasses our kids so much. It's by far the easiest option. Let's hope you really are going to get that Carte this time - fingers and toes crossed!

Hilary said...

Don't get too excited. Besides if the Carte de S story finishes now what will we all do until August when you get home?

Off to Chorus in the bright sunshine now, I probably won't slip on ice. Mind you it was cold in Nelson yesterday - we even had a heater on for a few hours.