
Today I responded to my first phone canvas for a donation! In fact, it may not have been the first time someone has rung, but the very few phone calls from unknown French speakers have sort of fizzled, owing to my inability to carry on a non-visual conversation. (My landline phone to all intents and purposes never really rings.) However, today the chap who phoned me was able to speak a little English, then passed me over to a colleague who spoke excellent English. (With an Asian accent I think.) So he had me over a barrel really! In fact, he was calling on behalf of Medecins Sans Frontieres, (Doctors without Borders) which is a humanitarian organisation providing emergency medical assistance in the case of war or some other catastrophe. http://www.msf.org.au/?gclid=CMOwg4qhoJkCFYsTzAodyhdApw We actually learnt about it in a unit we did at university so I knew what he was talking about, and it seemed like a worthwhile cause to support. And they didn't ring while I was eating tea, and I wasn't feeling grumpy. So I said yes, I would give some money. I am becoming SUCH a local! Is that the height of being a local - being on French data bases?
Apart from that, there isn't a lot of news. I had a good day at the Lycee today, and the weather was great. Warm, warm, warm. Tonight I am meeting Sarah in Centre Ville for a drink. Also, I have booked to fly to Edinburgh for a few days in the summer holidays, staying with my friends Joan and Bill, who actually live in Innerleithen in the Scottish Borders. In another case of interesting family things, when my friend Pat and I did our big trip 12 years ago now - heck! - we stayed with Joan and Bill. Not long after that I got to have a good look at the Rae family tree (my maternal grandmother was a Rae) and they practically all hurtled out here from Scotland in the olden days, as they did, from, of all little places - Innerleithen! (They probably didn't really hurtle.) So this time I am keen to check out the cemetery and any other family connections there might be. Incidentally, Joan thinks I'm the only person outside of Scotland who says 'wee', but there are plenty of us I'm sure! So that's me. Things are pretty good.

9 comments:
Hello Alison!
Well, I finally caught up with this blog thingy just in time to say Happy Birthday. I have had a quick browse through and it looks wonderful. Gorgeous photos, utterly engaging descriptions of the places, people and your reactions to it all. The makings of a great book! Sorry I have been so slack about keeping in touch but I will keep up to date now that I have found you :)I have had lovely travels lately, and a house full of visitors since mid-December, but finally settling back to a more settled lifestyle until Caroline arrives home in July with her baby which is due in June!! Congratulations on your lovely new additions to the family. It is very exciting to see the new generation arriving.
Have a great day,
Lots of Love, Jill
Well I'll get the hang of this soon. Going to try another way to post this :)
More information about Caro's baby - high probability of a girl called Liana, and Daddy David is French so she will be a little bi-lingual Liana. I will have to brush my school girl French. Can I book some tuition when you get home??
I say wee!
Prof
Of course you do Prof, like any self-respecting Dunedin lad or lass! Jill, great to hear from you! Thanks for commenting. :-)
Back after my New York and Mexico adventures - next time remind me NOT to go overseas without a WIFI computer - I felt very isolated from my normal social contacts, as you no doubt did before you were set up.
Also remind me to learn Spanish next time I go to a Spanish speaking country. I felt totally hopeless and very ignorant. However, you will be pleased to know that I can now order a cafe con leche and possibly even get a coffee with milk! Amazing. Which brings me to my comment today - even if you are now on a list of 'people who will give money via telephone' - you will at least have some more opportunities to practise your French.
I will put some New York and Mexico photos on Facebook today - when I work out how.
I didn't give my credit card details over the phone - they are sending me a letter. Nice to have you back Hilary!
Hey that's cool. Some guys from Doctors without Borders work in a part of the Warehouse that 0800 HUNGRY rents here in Christchurch. It must be a world-wide organisation. I gather these guys go through unused or slightly out of date tablets that we waste and organise them to be sent to third world countries. Good on you for not giving you card details though!
Post a Comment