Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Should I tell you?



I may have to stop writing my blog now you realise - I will have run out of a great deal of raw material. Yes!!! Today I collected my Carte de Sejour! Amazing but true. After lunch Marie-Helene drove me to the Buxerolles Town Hall and we went in. I showed my letter. A Nice Young Woman went to the shelf where there were folders, and pulled one out. From that she slipped out a little plastic coated card and gave it me. It was my carte de sejour! "Is that it?" I asked. "Oui," said the NYW. That was it. I have to say, that, being used to Dramas, it was something of an anti-climax! Anyway, I shouted Marie-Helene a coffee afterwards, which was pretty big of me really. I should probably have bought some champagne, but ah, well..... I'm just glad to have the jolly thing.
Going back a bit, some of my sharp-eyed readers may have spotted an earlier entry, saying that I had received a letter, delivered by Jean Ragonneau, asking me to go and collect the C de S. Then I decided that I would whip that off so that you got a nice surprise when I got the Real Thing. So there you have it. The photos depict Jean with The Letter, and the actual C de S, with the Photo From Hell on it. I think I have talked before about those photo-booth-in-a-mall-or-supermarket photos, but I just have to live with it, and hope that no-one is mean to me because my photo is ugly!
So what will I do now that I am fully legal? Hmmm.... I will have to give that some thought. I am actually allowed to stay here till le 26 octobre so I will have a bit of unused legality when I leave! Incidentally, the only thing that could possibly go wrong now is if a Police Officer goes to Jean and Therese's to check that I actually live there. Louise got a Police visit in Brussels to check that she was living where she said she did. If that happens I will just have to hope that the Policeman is Guy's son! Yes, I know a policeman in Poitiers as well as Bundaberg!
Other things.
*There is a big strike again on Thursday. The uni strike has been continuing all along, but apparently Thursday is a general-ish one again. I thought that perhaps I could go to Bordeaux or somewhere on the train for the day, but M-H says the trains will be on strike as well! I may have to do my washing instead.
*I read a book review recently and thought that it beautifully damned with faint praise when it spoke of the writer telling her life story in "conversational style". I had a bit of a chuckle, because I guess that's my style too. So I won't win any prizes, but as long as you are finding out a bit of what's going on and having the odd laugh, then I'm happy!
*The book that LiPeng gave me, called Paper Cut in China, tells about the 12 Chinese birth signs. I am a Rat, as I guess are any of my friends born in the same year. We are very cool, we Rats. Clever, bright, ambitious, having broad interests and strong ability in adapting to the environment. Quick-witted, full of ideas, and adept in understanding others. Gifted in many ways. Acute in perception. Hey! But here comes the best part - The females are particularly clean in habit and good at housekeeping!!!! Lol! Actually, this is what it says about romance: 'In love, although they are fit to the opposite sex, but are easily involved in romantic affairs.' Aaah... so that would mean...? This is another competition. The best interpretation of that sentence could win, well, a prize!

9 comments:

Toni said...

Hey, Rat, I wonder what I am -- birthday is 07/12/1961, 6:11 a.m. ...

congrats on the carte de sejour --- that IS a big deal, knowing the red tape routines over thar!

hey, that 'monsieur' in the photo is tres beau ... he looks so friendly.

Alison said...

Yes, that's Jean, who along with his wife Therese (my original host "parents")is indeed kind. When I was first in Poitiers he took me for a few drives to visit local landmarks, and when Louise came down from Brussels one weekend he took us both, and Gi, to visit some chateaux and scenic spots. Lots of kind and friendly people here.

Alison said...

And you are an Ox!

Toni said...

an ox, huh? yes, I read the 'Ox Review' you sent me, some truth in that, some not so familiar!

Jean & Therese sound like my kind of people -- his eyes are just so twinkly and warm; I imagine Therese is the same, huh? Glad you have had them for friends while you're there.

Anonymous said...

I think the sentence means you have a streak of naughtiness in you...(chinese naughtiness that is!)

Alison said...

Lol! Who moi? Naughty? You are definitely winning so far Maureen. :-)

Hilary said...

Your photo is even worse than my passport one - I look like Helga Jane Cliftonovsky the Russian weightlifter who was thrown out of the Olympics for being the first drugs cheat in history - remember her? Actually your photo isn't worse, but it's up there! One of the border guards on my recent OE even did a double take and held mine up beside my face and we both had a laugh! She didn't speak English but I presume she was saying "Goodness me, you look just like my auntie Helga from Russia".
Did I tell you I was going to have an early night. I am, I am!

Alison said...

I hope you slept well Helga! I well remember the very supermarket and the very day I got that photo taken. I think I was feeling a little bit depressed at the time. Quite possibly at the thought of what the photo was going to look like!

Anonymous said...

it is an anticlimax. i thought the card would be something with a little hologram or a little clear window like our dollars. if i had known that was what one looked like we couldve jacked it up using the scanner, some free software and a laminator! But i guess you wouldnt have had that rich french language learning experience.


BTW - im a horse through and through. supposedly in old china when girls were born in a fire horse year, they were considered so undesirable that they had their lives ended if they had not been aborted sooner. EEK. im lucky to be a half-caste coco-kiwi :D