Sunday, November 23, 2008

23.11.08


Yes yes, I will get back to studying about la cause, la quantite et le subjonctif! (We have a test tomorrow.) But I just thought you might like to see this little snap of my shopping bag after my grocery shopping this morning. Very French, eh? In fact there was no bread at the supermarket but fortunately la boulangerie was open so I was able to get my baguette there. There doesn't seem to be a huge amount of rhyme or reason with opening hours, although I'm sure there is. I just can't seem to figure it out! In the same way that I can't figure out why the bakery would be closed over the lunch hour each weekday. Apart from Mondays when it's closed all day. But there you go!
I was also going to mention the driving. Actually pedestrian crossings. The French see them as little white lines someone has painted on the road for decorative effect. (Horizontal graffiti, says Stephen Clarke in "A Year in the Merde.") You would NEVER step out on to a crossing assuming that a car is going to stop. Becase they just don't! And yet, you might be standing waiting to cross nowhere near a crossing, and a car will stop to let you cross. There may be several cars behind, but no-one seems to mind waiting. I think it's the French way of saying, "Actually, I make the rules here!" Kinda sweet. But scary on crossings!
Yesterday was quite exciting because a)I tidied up and rearranged my furniture and made a little space and b) M-H took me to second-hand place and I bought an armchair. I am in seventh heaven! and c) Therese and Jean invited me for tea, and they just happen to have cable TV, and so I got to see the All Blacks play. Yay!
Today was great too. I slept in a bit, fiddled on the computer and talked on Skype - (I am alison.kroon if you want to call) and I washed my floor as I didn't quite get that done yesterday! Then Roselyne came and picked me up and I went to her place for lunch. It was a rotten day weather-wise, but it was a lovely outing. Roselyne's neighbour, who lectures in English at the university, was there too with her very new little baby. It was a lovely meal and a very pleasant day. People are very kind.
A bientot.

3 comments:

LM said...

Cool! So all you need now is a little telly....

Alison said...

That would be nice....

Anonymous said...

aaaaaaaaah! this bit "You would NEVER step out on to a crossing assuming that a car is going to stop. Because they just don't! " i can just imagine you saying aloud. LOL!