Monday, November 24, 2008

24.11.08


Another little hurdle overcome today. I had my chest x-ray! In fact it all went quite smoothly, but I had got myself into a bit of an anxious state beforehand, picturing grumpy non-comprehending people, and them saying that I hadn't filled out the proper forms..... In fact that didn't happen, but I did get lost getting there. Sophie, my prof, told me that it took 20 minutes to walk to the Hopital de la Miletrie. Being me, I allowed 40 minutes. Which was just as well, as it was quite a long way away and took me exactly 40 minutes and a bit of panic when the centre de prevention des maladies respiratoires, Rene Beauchant batiment, didn't seem to be appearing. The grounds were a bit of a mystery as was the building I was in. But never mind. I eventually got to where I needed to be after asking a few people. I was actually on the computer and there were no administrative hiccups. (I assume nothing!!) A nice young radiographer took a photo and that was that. I then managed to get totally lost again on my way back out to the main road. I realised when I got back to where a helicopter was parked that I had done a grand loop. But I didn't mind as I didn't have a deadline to meet at that end. I then got a bus into town as I needed to go to the bank. My bank is right opposite the Notre Dame Cathedral (pictured) and something was going on there. There were heaps of people watching in total silence, and outside in lines were uniformed people just standing there - I assume to be a guard of honour. It looked like the police, but I couldn't be sure. Certainly there were lots of firemen - pompiers - there. And people with either rugby or soccer shirts draped round their shoulders. So I am assuming it was a funeral for a fireman who was good at sport. But I don't know. I will try to find out. I could have stayed but it seemed a bit intrusive.
Nothing much else to report today.

2 comments:

Hilary said...

What does 'a bientot' mean? My computer says it means 'with soon" - that's just silly.
Isn't the cathedral beautiful? Was it bombed in the war? It looks new and perhaps rebuilt - or maybe it's just had a clean? It's lovely and I too am also intrigued re the 'Occasion of Great Solemnity'. I shall wait until I am enlightened.
I see that the leaves have fallen off the trees outside your window. Ours got just about swept off yesterday - my word, what a storm. I imagine that Viv had a lake in her back garden in Nile St. It was quite something. More or less back to normal today with no loss of life although one near miss and the lady who makes my coffee at RED lost 4 plastic chairs that she didn't drag high enough up her lawn (she saved the BBQ and the umbrella). Such excitement.

Alison said...

It means, "See you soon" or something to that effect. Sort of like, "See ya!"
No further word on the Great Occasion I'm sorry. And no, as far as I know the only bombing casualty in Poitiers in the war was the railway station.