Thursday, June 11, 2009

Angers

Today I went to Angers. Let me quote from Frommer's France 2008. (Kindly given to me by the Maguire family.)"Once the capital of Anjou, Angers straddles the Maine River at the western end of the Loire Valley. Though it suffered extensive damage in World War II, it has been restored, blending provincial charm with a suggestion of sophistication. The bustling regional centre is often used as a base for exploring the chateau district to the west. Young people, including some 30,000 college students, keep this vital city of 260,000 jumping until late at night." As Frommers is an American publication I guess the reference to college students means university students.
Anyway, Anna, another New Zealand teacher on the Ministry/AFS programme, is in Angers. As the crow flies it's not all that far from Poitiers, but travel there involves a train change. In fact, I only figured out how to get there a while ago. When I asked people here about getting to Angers they all muttered darkly, "Oh no, you can only go there by car." Which made it a bit tricky for moi! But anyway, finally today Anna and I caught up. It was a lovely day, if a trifle cold at the start! I was halfway to the bus stop this morning before I realised that despite the yellow thing in the sky there was a biting wind and I was cold! However, I survived, and it did warm up nicely as the day went on. To the point where I did in fact get a touch of sun on my face! (My face was flushed, but my broad shoulders saved me. Sorry, sorry!)


Our first stop was the Chateau d'Angers which dates from the 9th century. It's been a home to various kings, and Louis XIV turned it into a prison. In World War II the Nazis used it as a munitions depot, and the Allies bombed it in 1944. It's a really lovely castle - I'm a bit of an expert now, and I was most impressed, particularly with the wonderful ramparts.

The castle is also home to the Apocalypse Tapestries. Although the light in the room where they are housed was so dim - for obvious reasons - that I had trouble seeing them clearly. (The obvious need to protect the tapestries from the light didn't seem to have quite hit home to a couple of English speaking tourists who were wandering round flashing off photos left right and centre.)Anyway, the tapestries were woven around 1375 for Louis I of Anjou. They haven't always been highly regarded - they once served as a canopy to protect orange trees and were also used to cover the damaged walls of a church! I think it's just incredible that they still exist - and there are 77 of them, stretching for 100m!
Anyway, after the castle and bit of lunch, we went on the... yes Tiffany, we did.... we went on Le Petit Train! As well as writing a book about canal cruises, I think I could also write a book about Petit Trains.
It was a pleasant trundle round the streets of Angers, but there was quite a bit left out of the tour as Centre Ville is being all dug up to install tram lines.
After that we met Anna's boyfriend and an American friend of Anna's who also lives in Angers, and we had a beer! Very pleasant.
I think I say that quite a bit now - very pleasant! Lol. Then we 3 gals wandered round the shops for a bit - and Anna bought some trousers and a top - and after a coffee I said my goodbyes and hopped on the train.
It was a lovely day - a nice mixture of touristy stuff and just hanging out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great to read - just got on board!! Learning how to do these myself now!
Marie