Friday, June 12, 2009

Last day at the Lycee.

Farewells are always a bit anti-climactic I reckon and I felt sure I wouldn't see any of the people I knew when I went to school for the last time today. However, I did see most of them, and they all seemed to appreciate the chocolates I took along, as well as the NZ DVDs and calendar. Mind you, no-one commented on the message I wrote in the card and I didn't have to courage to ask to have my mistakes pointed out!
I worked from 8.30 with Agnes and two of her classes, and then at 11.30 I finished off the final simulated interviews I have been doing with the senior students who are trying to get into a top Business School.
There are 7000 places available in all of France and 9000 applicants. I sincerely hope that all these kids make it - I doubt that I have ever met a nicer bunch. Highly intelligent, articulate... just generally all round nice kids. It's actually interesting how sparky, independent and thoughtful these kids are when you consider that most of their education has consisted of copying stuff from the board! Food for thought!! Lol.
I also ran into another group of kids - some of Claudine's class with whom I have worked for the whole year.
They called me over and we had a chat - it took me all my time not to become emotional! The photos are of 3 young women I 'interviewed' today, and the bunch of 'regulars' I mentioned. They all agreed to be published on my Blog. I'm so aware of privacy issues, and in fact should probably get bits of paper signed. But I'll just pretend I'm living in another, earlier period. :-) Most of the kids wore surfie shorts today, it being the last day and all. The power of text messaging eh? Someone thought of it, and lo and behold, almost the whole school turned up today dressed for the beach. Cool!
I went and gave back my keys and also went and saw the Principal. He seemed to remember who I was although I haven't seen him all year! I thanked him effusively and sincerely - it truly has been great. And in turn he kissed me effusively!
So that was that. I am now on holiday! I went to the university - also for the last time - and met Yun and Abir for lunch. After that Abir took Yun and I on a mystery bus trip to some very cheap shop about 20 minutes away. A bit cheap and tatty, but it was fun going somewhere different and hanging out with my young friends!
Tomorrow I will watch as much of the rugby - ABs v France - as I can in the morning chez M-H and Christian, then Guy is picking me up and I'm going to his place for lunch - with him and his wife of course! I think there is a village fete in the afternoon. And on Sunday I'm off to Giverny for a couple of days. And after high temperatures today and even higher predicted for tomorrow, the forecast from Sunday for several days is for rain all over the place. Rats! But c'est la vie! I guess Monet's plants like the rain anyway.
Oh, did I tell you that I have belatedly discovered a wonderful Oldies radio station here - Nostalgie? It's great - they play The Beatles all the time and Paul even has little messages from time to time!! Sigh!

No comments: