We firstly went to the Minute Man visitor centre. The Minute Man is the general term used for the local soldiers during the American Revolution. Basically, they were all geared up so that they could respond to a call to arms and gather together in a minute. At the visitor centre we watched a video which was really excellent. It was more than just a video - it appeared to be almost like a hologram, with a 'real' soldier talking to us. And different parts the room lit up as they featured in the story. Oh, I can't explain it properly, but believe me, it was most impressive, and it certainly explained the start of the American Revolution very well. Who fired the first shot? Aha - we will never know.
We then got swept into an interactive thing which turned out to be learning how to fire a musket and to march. We were The Awkward Squad.

In fact, the young woman in charge told us that we were one of the best groups she had had - fast learners! I wasn't all that slick with the musket, (and in fact felt a bit of a dipstick playing with guns when I really don't like them - even pretend ones) but I was a whiz at the marching! You should have seen our wheels! Lol. After that we went along the road to a house which used to be a tavern and is (and was) situated on the road that the troops used during the Revolution.

Another costumed chap (a Minute Man) talked to us about the Revolution and he and a colleague showed us how to fire a real musket. (The Awkward Squad had wooden guns, fortunately!) He was really interesting.
Next stop Concord, and Orchard House, the home of Louisa May Alcott.

Speaking as someone who loved Little Women and always wanted to be Jo, I was really chuffed to visit here. We had a guided tour and it was really interesting. (How many times have I said that??) But it really was. The house was surprisingly spacious and light with a writing desk for Louisa which her father had built for her - normally girls were not encouraged to 'work' as such. She mixed with some interesting thinkers and scholars of the day, and for more info you could check on Google, which will save me plagiarising anything!
Kathy and I then went back to Lexington to visit the National Heritage Museum which promised much but unfortunately delivered very little. In fact it is hard to relate the advertising flyer to the actual museum. There was very little to see, and not only that, but the cafe where we planned to have lunch was closed, despite the flyer saying it would be open. Oh well.....
So we went to Starbucks in Lexington instead and I had a very nice smoothie. And probably some food but I can't remember. It's true!

No comments:
Post a Comment