Monday, July 20, 2009

Mass #3


We had a very early start on Sunday as we were off to Cape Cod. Now does that just conjure up a magical picture in your mind or what? It certainly did for me.

"If you spend an evening you'll want to stay,
Watching the moonlight on Old Cape Cod Bay.
You're sure to fall in love with Old Cape Cod."


Well, that song is a regular head voice of mine. And here I was, off to Cape Cod! It seemed like quite a long drive, partly I think because there isn't really anything to see apart from trees on the side of the roads. We went to Falmouth and then doubled back and went to Plymouth, having collected Kathy and Roger's son Brett en route. Our first historic object to view was Plymouth Rock, where the pilgrims first set foot in their new country.
It's supposedly the real thing, and has an interesting past, having been chipped away at, moved, dropped and broken.... So now it is securely caged in!





Once again there was someone there to talk about it. (Everywhere we went in the States there were guides to interact with you and talk about whatever it was they were looking after or promoting. They were usually in costume and playing a part. I know that it's a way of having people around to keep an eye on things, but it's extremely well done I have to say.)
We then went on board the Mayflower.
Not the orginal, but a replica built about 50 years ago and sailed to Plymouth in 1957 as part of an international good-will project. Once again costumed role players were there, telling the story of the original voyage. I was most taken with one young woman.
I watched her for quite some time while she interacted with some young kids and answered their questions, totally in character. You could see the kids being really drawn into the history of the boat. It was just great.
We had a bit of a wander round and then watched the Blessing of the Fleet ceremony. All the local fishing boats and some others were decked out in bunting - there's that word again - I like it! - and they sailed in convoy past a wharf and were blessed by someone. Not sure who really!
We also went on board some Tall Ships which were in port. They were interesting enough, although it seemed to me that they were there to promote their religious beliefs. They seemed to be owned and manned by religious groups who just sailed round the world asking for donations! (Do not write to the editor! I may have got that wrong! :-)But it did seem like quite a nice way to earn a living!)
We had a late lunch/early tea of seafood at the family's favourite seafood restaurant and after dropping Brett off we headed back home. There was a lot of traffic but in general it flowed pretty smoothly.
And the only bit to add is that I woke in the night and was VERY sick! I can't remember when I last vomited - probably more than 20 years ago. I dunno. But I sure made up for it. I just couldn't stop beng sick and it was really horrible. And apart from everything else, my muscles ached and ached for days afterwards. Yuk! I have to assume that it was the oysters I had at the restaurant, although it was a very busy restaurant with a rapid turnover of food, so one would have thought things would be fresh. But there you go.

No comments: