Monday, July 27, 2009

Teeth

Do you know, if I had paid to have all my teeth capped and beautified about 20 years ago, it would have cost a fortune, but NOTHING compared to what it has cost me over the years to maintain my creaky flaky yellowing brittle old teeth. Which used to be quite smart when I was young. Old ladies used to comment on them: "Oh, but you've got lovely teeth dear!" Hmmm!
And despite having spent a fortune on a crown and various other things just before leaving Auckland, I am now having another calcium deficiency melt-down. Or whatever. Recently I broke a bit off a front tooth. Well, it broke off all by itself actually. It was causing no pain so I thought I would hang on till I got back home. Last week, here in Merrie England, it flaked off a bit more. I was about to look like a witch. Fortunately I managed to get a dental appointment with Karen's South African dentist, who was quite excited to meet someone from New Zealand and we talked at length about rugby. It cost £106 which probably isn't too bad. I mentioned that I had a little bit of pain from another tooth and he said that yes, the filling was cracked, but he felt sure it would last the distance till I got back to New Zealand. Last night - just as if a great suction pump was at work, the whole damn thing just split in two. I was left with great jagged bits rubbing my tongue! I have been miserable all day today! My new best friend the dentist can fortunately spare me 15 minutes tomorrow - I hope he can somehow get rid of the sharp bits! I bought some temporary filling stuff from the chemist but it didn't work. So....in answer to the question... "What did you do in England?" "Oh, I came over here for dental treatment!"

3 comments:

Hilary said...

The good news is that you're paying for the denstist's next overseas holiday (I know 'cos I'm currently paying for my dentist's trip to Florida) and his next trip might be NZ which will boost NZ GDP. So we should give you a medal really. And a new tooth. Hurts eh? The Visa card that is. Commiserations.

mariebop said...

Mmmm.... I've just been to my dentist for a final look before I leave. He said if the xray showed any shadows he would contact me. But he didn't and the twinges began. I went back and he said he should have rung me as there was a shadow, but on the tooth beside the one that hurt! So after lots of drilling the anticipated nerve got touched and he grimaced and said the decay had reached the root so he has to remove it. A lovely root filling followed at over $500 for such a little tooth! Well, not much tooth there - it's mainly amalgam from primary school days. I'm full of it actually. Anyway, there's still the odd twinge but I'm willing them away, for a year at least! Empathy!!

Alison said...

In fact I think my mouth is all amalgam! A few bits of teeth holding it all together.