Thursday, July 30, 2009

UK Holiday #1

Now I know that I need to get cracking and start sorting through stuff. I need to go through papers and all my uni notes and see what I really need to keep and what I should biff. I need to take things off the walls. I need to decide what clothes I am going to leave here. I need to pack up stuff into boxes and post the boxes to New Zealand. I need to decide where I am going to leave the little piece of my heart which will always be in France. But I can't! Not yet! I just don't want to, and also I am feeling too tired. This holiday making business takes it out of one, what?
So in the meantime I will update my blog. I will write about my little sojourn to the UK, where I spent another lovely week with Karen and Kevin. The weather continued to be crap, but the hearts were warm. (How about that for a spot of schmaltz? True though.) I know I have already written snippets, but they were just tasters. :-)
I arrived last Wednesday afternoon on my little RyanAir Poitiers to Stanstead 'especially for Alison' flight. (It is just so nifty having direct flights from the teensy little Poitiers airport to Stanstead and Edinburgh!) One thing about about having no allocated seating and hanging round waiting and then having to queue, is that you usually get to talk to someone and you end up sitting by that person so you have someone to talk to on the flight. Which is quite fun.
So we move now to Thursday and Karen and I caught the train into London. We made our way to Hyde Park as we were on the lookout for the New Zealand memorial. And in fact, although I have driven past it, I have never actually been in Hyde Park before. (Correct me if I'm wrong, Pat!) First of all we came across the memorial to all the animals which were involved in the world wars.
It was quite impressive - well designed and well sculpted. Then we came across the very haunting memorial to all those who lost their lives in the tube and bus bombings of July 2005.
I have taken this piece from Wikipedia.
The 7 July 2005 London bombings were a series of coordinated suicide bomb attacks on London's public transport system during the morning rush hour. The bombings were carried out by four British Muslim men who were motivated by Britain's involvement in the Iraq War.
At 08:50, three bombs exploded within fifty seconds of each other on three London Underground trains. A fourth bomb exploded on a bus nearly an hour later at 09:47 in Tavistock Square........ The bombings killed 56 people, including the four bombers, and injured 700. A permanent memorial was unveiled in Hyde Park on the 7 July 2009, the fourth anniversary of the bombings, as a tribute to the 52 murder victims.
It's a simple but very moving memorial.
It was about this time that it started to rain. I hadn't brought a jacket with me, mainly because I refused to accept that it might rain! But it did. And heavily! So we huddled under Karen's little brolly and fell about laughing really at how wet we were getting. But what the heck! Anyway, in the rain, which fortunately turned to drizzle, we finally found the New Zealand memorial. Wow - it is just amazing. I think it's a 'must see' if you are in London.


The New Zealand Memorial in London's Hyde Park Corner commemorates the enduring bonds between New Zealand and the United Kingdom, and our shared sacrifice during times of war. It is a symbol both of our common heritage and of New Zealand's distinct identity.
Designed by architect John Hardwick-Smith and sculptor Paul Dibble the memorial consists of 16 cross-shaped vertical bronze 'standards' set out in formation on a grassy slope. Each standard is adorned with text, patterns and small sculptures. "Through the words and images, any New Zealander visiting the memorial will recognise home, and British people may learn something of the relationship between our two countries," explains Paul Dibble.
The memorial, was dedicated on 11 November 2006 and is expected to become a particular focus for Anzac Day commemorations in London each year.

I have taken that from the website of the New Zealand Ministry of Culture and Heritage. I hope they don't mind, but they explain it so much better then I could!


Karen and I hung about for quite a while - we didn't want to leave in fact. When we eventually did, we noticed that inside the adjacent Wellington Arch there was a sign for a Gift Shop. Never wanting to look a Gift Shop in the mouth we toddled in, only to find that in fact the Arch is hollow in one leg and houses a small museum and a viewing balcony at the top. The views were a bit disappointing actually, but on one level we discovered a display all about the NZ Memorial. It included a video of the dedication ceremony which we sat and watched for an hour! Another serendipitous discovery. It was just great.
Down on the ground and outside again we found that the sun had come out! So a great opportunity for a few more snaps to add to the zillions I had already taken. Oh Digital Camera Inventor, I bow down to you!
We then walked down past Buckingham Palace
and wended our way past all sorts of interesting places - the Canadian War memorial is worth a mention - to where we found the Phoenix Theatre. We had tickets for Blood Brothers. And we thoroughly enjoyed the show. It was pretty sad, but was really well cast, had great music, and all in all was an excellent performance. Originally we had booked to see Carousel but the season closed early, so this was our second choice. Well, my second choice! I love the oldies and I love Carousel, so I was disappointed not to see it but I'm glad to have seen Blood Brothers. I now would like to see Billy Elliot, The Lion King.... Even The Mouse Trap! I could happily have a London holiday and go and see a show a day!
The show got out at 1/4 to 6 and we then went round to Steph's house to feed the cat. (Steph is Karen and Kevin's daughter.) It took a while, just because it is a wee way away and takes a while anyway, but also because Karen had a variation on the normal route, and we did quite a bit of unintentional 'walking for fitness'! Lol. So it was pretty late by the time we got back to Brentwood in Essex, but a thoroughly enjoyable day.
To be continued.

No comments: