I'm on a roll here!
I've always said that it's the little things that make up life's pleasures. And it's true. I decided this afternoon that I needed to post some stuff at La Poste. It would appear that I am going to be at school and/or uni all day every day this semester, so as I had an afternoon free I made myself get on to it. First of all I walked back to the Tabac and got my AFS stuff photocopied. I chatted for ages with the man, who told me that I was speaking much better than when he first met me. And do you know, I was! Sometimes it just happens. But he was really nice, and was asking me qestions about why I was here, about my family, what I will do when I go back, and the one I am always asked - at what age do people retire in New Zealand! I continue to mystify them. Anyway, I then walked to La Poste, which is sort of in the next suburb. There is always a long queue and I think I have talked about that before. Well, no queue! And not only that, I got the nice man who has served me before and who has gone to a great deal of trouble. I posted the AFS stuff and I also had resources and bits and pieces to send back home. (Gillian my petal, I have sent them care of you again! Hope that's OK.)He spent ages finding the right sized boxes/packets and helping me get it all sorted. I can remember once waiting at the Stoke Post Office and an elderly man who had waited for ages in the queue was given a form to fill out, and made to go away and do it and then join the back of the queue! I felt really sorry for him. Well, we don't do that in Poitiers! Certainly not! He just waited patiently while I filled in customs forms, addresses etc. Just as well there were other "tellers" or whatever they are. It cost a small fortune to post them, but I feel relieved that I've done it. Then I had a wee parcel for Hayden and Vanessa. He fiddled round for a while, then said, "Look, the best I can do is this packet and it will cost you 40 euros (on today's exchange rate about $110)to post. Much too expensive. If you go along to the bookshop and buy a packet it will then cost you 6 euros (about $16)to post." Well! So I went along the road and bought a packet very cheaply, after the kind lady left her post to help me and tried squashing the parcel into various sizes until she found one that fitted. And back I went to la Poste and in fact it only cost 5.50 euros.
I have some homework waiting for me which I am quite anxious about, but nonetheless I am thinking that it was a pretty good afternoon.
And oh yes, I know what I meant to mention, re my Middle Eastern holiday. (You can tell I'm avoiding my homework, can't you? :-))When we were in the Grand Palace Hotel in Al Ain, Sheryl and I were admiring the beautiful rugs/carpets for sale at astronomical prices. We asked the woman if many were sold at $60000 (for example.) She said no, but those that were sold were to Russians! I don't know why i was surprised, but I was. Fancy that!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
What age do they retire in France?
By the time they turn 60 they all appear to have retired. They keep busy doing voluntary stuff and going to meetings it seems.
Post a Comment