
More ridiculous nonsense at the border and at one stage we didn't have our passports and didn't exactly know who had them. An uneasy feeling. Finally we got through. I didn't think it was so funny this time - I felt a bit grumpy. But of course you can't say anything!
Anyway, it was a fairly straightforward trip, apart from getting lost on the last leg. We had a great map from Vikki, and we had to take the next exit after the Grand Mosque. Unfortunately we saw a mosque which looked quite grand to us, so turned off. However, it turned out to be a Mosque That Was Only a Little Bit Grand. So we were barking up the wrong tree, as it were! Once we talked to Don on the phone and I, as the navigator, realised what had happened, it all worked out. But it took us a long time!
It was great to see Don and Vikki again and we all sat up till quite late, eating and drinking and talking. Lovely stuff.
The next day we packed a picnic lunch and went for a drive in a wadi in the 4 wheel drive vehicle. it was amazing really. Such a stark, rugged but quite beautiful landscape. Apparently geologists love Oman, becase when the land was thrust up from the sea, it kind of tilted on its side, so the layers are easy to see. I probably haven't got that quite right, but it's fascinating anyway. The wadis are under water when it rains, and that includes quite a few ancient and biblical looking villages. Isn't this town just what you saw in Sunday School books?

We stopped and had our picnic for lunch and were joined by quite a few curious and no doubt hungry goats.


Overall it was a wonderful day. I just loved it.
On Saturday Don went to work, as their weekend is Thursday and Friday. Vikki took Sheryl and me to the souk at the old port. I love souks! It was great. Vikki is well-known there, having lived in Muscat for about 9 years or so, so we were able to get mates' rates! You can see Sheryl contemplating whether ot not to buy an Omani hat. She didn't, but did manage one or two other things. :-)

We were given tea in little cups by one of the people, and that was a nice little ceremony.

We had lunch at a little cafe, shopped a little bit more, then went back home. In the photo of Sheryl and Vikki, you can see the Sultan's private yacht in the background.

And from there Sheryl and I set off on our return to Al Ain. We stopped at Sohar for a snack for tea and wandered around a bit. We were in a real minority. Not only were there no white people about, but there were no women. But you always feel safe, and I have to say that the fact that there is no alcohol must play a big part in that.
The drive home seemed to take no time at all, and - wait for this - we went straight through at the border!!! It only took the time needed to get from one booth or building to the next. And all the stamping etc was done there. We didn't have to get out of the car, queue up.... Which leads me to believe that if it's possible to do that once, then why...... Oh forget I asked that! :-)
Anyway, it was a great weekend and I loved seeing Muscat again. The people were all very friendly. Oh, and football fever raged! Everywhere, even in the heart of the outback, there were flags draped out of windows and heaps of bunting. The Arabian Gulf Football Tournament was taking place and Oman were doing all right. The cars also were all decorated with Omani flags etc. It was very festive.
On Sunday Sheryl went to school and I pottered. I was still feeling quite sick from the virus I had had for about a week. So after school Sheryl took me to a doctor at the hospital. Which I guess I should have done earlier, but I just assumed it would get better by itself. The doctor was a nice Indian who was quite fascinated by my hair. Not a lot of men are fascinated by me as a rule! :-)

The photo is of me taking my medicaments!
And on Monday I got a taxi to the Emirates Office, and from there got a bus to Dubai. At Duty Free I found some NZ sauvignon blanc, and felt compelled to buy it. Well, I like it! And one day I might entertain and I will need it!
The flight once again was terrific. Half empty, and I had 3 seats to myself. I watched two movies - Mary Poppins, because I wanted to, And Second Hand Wedding. Well, I just loved it, but it made me sooooo homesick. There I was crying and crying! Got to Paris, and followed the signs to get to the Ibis Hotel where I was booked for the night as I was too late for the last train to Poitiers. I walked quite a way, with far too much hand luggage as usual. Then I got a shuttle train. Then I hopped off that and got on a bus which had a list of hotels on the side including Hotel Ibis. I asked the driver if I was on the right bus just to make sure, but he didn't reply. Anyway, after a long drive we finally stopped and there was the Hotel Ibis. You know what I'm going to say, don't you? The receptionist said, "Oh no, you aren't booked in here. You are booked in at the other Ibis Hotel. You caught the pink bus and you should have caught the red one. " Like, I was supposed to know that??? And it was dark!!! She told me I needed to go back and wait for the shuttle and retrace my steps back to the airport, basically. I stood my ground, because I knew I just couldn't, and in the end she rang the other hotel and changed the booking. I have to say that it was very basic accommodation for what cost me about $260 NZ. Not even tea making facilities, and certainly no mini bar!
Anyway, the next morning I caught the packed shuttle to the station at the airport, and happened to be sitting next to a very nice young man who started talking to me. It transpired that he was a member of the French Americas Cup team and was on his way to Valencia, and then on to New Zealand! He was lovely. I might even show more than a fleeting interest in the Cup next time.
A good train trip home and that was that. There was snow lying on the ground everywhere and it was particularly thick from Tours to Poitiers. It looked very picuresque, but also very cold! It's sort of good to be back at "my place", and I need to unpack properly and get some food!
Incidentally, I have put some photos on Facebook if you want to see some more.

3 comments:
Another cracker Ali and that's not even looking at the pix. On my way to work and running a little late. Hope you're beginning to feel a little better now.
Hope those medicaments have started working! You sure are having a wonderful time. I'm not sure how to check out your pics but I'll ask someone to show me. Lovely to be in touch again.
You need to join Facebook, which is quite straightforward then lots of fun - a good timewaster! And yes, today I felt quite a bit better. It was the first time I haven't needed to spend half the morning in bed. I think that pesky bugs are much tougher these days!
Post a Comment