Happy new year to you all! May 2009 be almost everything you would want. I have got so much to say about my couple of days here - I don't know quite where to start. And I guess I need to summarise. I will do my best.
I flew with Emirates from Paris to Dubai and was able to stretch out across 3 seats - luxury. However, I didn't sleep at all, so was somewhat jaded when I arrived at 7 in the morning. I was met by Sheryl and her son Richard, and we drove around a little bit, then went for brunch at a lovely cafe run by New Zealanders. We then dropped Richard off to stay with some friends, and Sheryl and I went to a mall to search for togs for me. As mine haven't arrived from NZ! I was shattered with tiredness by then but managed to clomp around. But no luck. The only togs were bikinis for tiny tiny people. I am not a tiny tiny person. Incidentally, the mall has a skifield inside it! We sort of resolved the togs problem by me wearing Sheryl's togs and Sheryl wearing a strapless bra, a singlet top and matching knickers. She actually looked quite trendy. And off we went to the beach. Oh how wonderful! A swim in the sea and a wee lie on the beach in the sun. Then we drove back to Al Ain. I managed to stay awake till about 7.00pm and slept through till 7 the next morning. Sheryl went to school, and after I had had breakfast I went back to sleep till lunchtime! So I have pretty much caught up now. :-) After school we went to the Hilton Hotel and had a swim, a read and a mild sunbathe there. Oooh, I get all goosebumpy thinking about it.
Then last night we went to a barbecue attended by most of the people who work for the same company as Sheryl. Cognition. (They are working as advisers for the Abu Dhabi Education Board.) Well, what a surprise! I kept meeting people I knew! Adele from Nelson, Colin who was the Principal of Kings High (Dunedin) until recently and whom I had met, and it transpired in conversation that he knows John's nephew really well, and he taught Vanessa at Hillmorton High.... It goes on! I then met a guy who comes from Manaia in Taranaki (Ian, he knows Graham O'B really well)..... I won't bore you with all the rest. (Well, there isn't much more really.) It was lovely to go to a party with New Zealanders. And I saw the new year in for the first time in more than 10 years. It was all good. The photo is of Sheryl, me and Al, a friend of Sheryl's.
Today we went to Oman. I need to go to bed now so will tell you tomorrow about The Great Visit to Nizwa With Adventures to Rival and Perhaps Even Surpass the Poitiers Prefecture. Oh yes!

1 comment:
happy happy new year to you too alison. (and to think you nearly came home!) trust you to know a heap of kiwis at a party in another foreign land. looking forward to more pics and stories and when you get back to poitiers, a little skyping????? well you know i cant think of that much to type but talking ... :D
Post a Comment