Saturday, January 31, 2009

Out walking.




Anyone out there.....?
Today I went walking with Anne and 3 of her friends - Micheline, whom I met on the last walk, Collette, and someone else whose name escapes me. I talked to her and she was very nice, but I just can't recall her name! We did the same route, but this time I managed to get a migraine about an hour into the walk. Rats! Zig zags and flashing lights and all the bizzo. It just makes you feel so stupid, because you don't come out in green spots. You just have to say, "Oh, I've got a migraine." Then of course we walked back and I felt pretty yuk and very leaden. Anyway, by the time we got back into town I could see again. But I now feel washed out as I always do after such things. I wouldn't normally bother to write about today, but thought I would post some photos. One of me in front of the amphitheatre which I mentioned last time, and I see I have my eyes closed. But I just wanted you to see the piece of history. (The amphitheatre - not moi.)And one of the walking group. My friend Anne is wearing the red jacket. There is also a photo of Anne and Collette in front of a fairly dramatic war memorial. "What war?" I asked. They replied with the dates - 1870 - 1871. "Yes, I replied. "But against whom?" "Oh the GERMANS!" they said. "It's ALWAYS the Germans." Which reminds me - Collette was telling me that in WWI the Germans shelled the cathedral in Reims (I think it was) every day for 4 years. Every day!! I can't think of anything to say about that. Unbelievable. And speaking of WWI - if you haven't read 'Birdsong' by Sebastien Faulkes, I recommend it. x

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes we are here! I'm just listening.
Been to WN for Lynda's 40th. OMG...

Best wishes

Prof

Alison said...

40th!! OMG is right. (Mind you, Hayden isn't far behind.) Glad to hear from you. :-)