Sunday, January 18, 2009

Walking and other things.

Abraham Lincoln
And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
I must remember that when I go to uni tomorrow as the "oldie"!
Yesterday I went for a walk with Anne, who is a professor in the French department at uni. I had met her briefly before and we had passed the time of day, but that was all. At this point I probably need to mention Guy, commonly known as Toilet Man. Some of you will know of him! Back in early November I happened to go to the only unisex loo at uni and came upon a man washing his hands. As you do in toilets. At that point I wasn't aware that it was a unisex loo so asked in my best French if it was for women too. He replied that he didn't know. When I came out he was waiting for me! He had picked up my foreign accent - funny that - and wondered if I was interested in practising my French with him as he was at uni part time studying English and wanted to practise that! So we swapped email addresses and I went off to my exam, then to Italy. However, we did eventually catch up and have been meeting to 'talk' most weeks. He is my age, very nice, and, of course, married! However, he is good to talk to, as conversational French is what I need lots of. He is also being very helpful with my carte de sejour stuff, and in the process has made friends with one of the women at the Prefecture, whom he seems to talk to regularly on my behalf!
Anyway, I decided that what I needed was more chatting in French, and someone to walk with, go to the movies with, go to the theatre with, (sorry about the dangling participles) who wasn't a married man. It's perfectly all right to meet in the cafeteria once a week, but I suspect his wife might be a little unhappy if we started going out to the movies. So when I caught up with him on Thursday he got hold of Anne and she joined us, and to cut a long story short - actually, no, it was a short story to begin with - she asked me to go walking with her yesterday. I don't seem to have the ability to tell something simply, do I? I could have just said, "Yesterday I went walking with a new friend." But what fun would that have been?
Anyway, j'ai pris le bus au Centre Ville and found my way to Anne's apartment. Which is right by the Palais de Justice. Off we set on our walk. I discovered all these new places and everything was just wonderful! First of all we walked to see the remains of an amphitheatre which was built in Poitiers in about 40 AD. It was considered to be the largest amphitheatre in all of the Gallo Roman empire. It was amazing to see some parts of the original structure right there in the middle of town! It actually stood intact until about 1857. At that point I really started regretting not having brought my camera with me. We then walked to Parc de Blossac towards the southern tip of the old town. It's a very large and elegant park based on an English design, with clipped limes, formal gardens and walkways, fountains, a small zoo, (not very nice really), places to play boules, a small outdoor theatre, stunning views.... Quite wonderful really. I was aware of it, but had no idea where it was till yesterday. Now I will be able to go again. I imagine that in the spring and summer it would be just brilliant.

Then Anne and I pushed on and I ran into one of the girls from my uni class - Chow. I know that's not how you spell it, but it's not Ciao, so I'll just have to leave it like that. We all chatted for a while and while we were doing that a friend of Anne's happened by. Micheline was out walking too, so after saying au revoir to Chow and her boyfriend, the three of us went on walking. We walked up hills and down dales, beside the River Clain, over bridges, watched a man launch a little rowboat, saw ponds and even creeks still frozen over from last week's very cold snap, saw a very grand house a little like a small chateau, and generally had a great time. I quite like the look of winter; that sort of almost poetic state of waiting for spring. Bleak, but promising. Or something. Anyway, when we finally arrived back at Anne's we realised we had been walking for 3 hours! Hilary, would that be the equivalent of walking the Buller half-marathon? Do you think I could do it? :-)
So that was yesterday. I felt it a bit in my legs, but not too much. However, I have been a bit tired today and am only resisting the tempatation to have a nap because that might put paid to a good sleep tonight. I have planned as well as I can my English lessons for tomorrow at the Lycee - it's all a bit over my head as I know nothing about the present perfect or pluperfect tense or whatever, and I have been asked to teach it round the theme of healthy eating. Well, I know about that so I'll do my best.
Keep in touch. :-) I love reading the comments - it feels like we're chatting! (Brian D - where are you? :-))

2 comments:

Hilary said...

I am most impressed by your three hour walk and also your story telling as usual. Particularly the saga of TM. Of course it goes without saying as I head off to my same-as job this morning that I am more than a little envious.
Still only a few weeks until I head off to share the northern hemisphere with you and learn that there are two sides to romantic visions of snow, ear muffs and skating on the ice in Central Park.
Bonjoir.

Alison said...

Oh, but wouldn't it be wonderful to skate in Central Park?? I was seriously thinking of skating at the rink in the shopping mall at Al Ain till Sheryl asked if my insurance covered me for such things..... It quite possibly does, but I didn't think it was worth testing the waters!
Glad you liked the story of TM.